details for heat treating 5160?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darrin,

There is no twisting, you simple seem to not be able to understand that tempering of steel happens even at room temperature, I noted not only the exact temperatures but the actual materials reference to the published data which is in a peer reviewed materials journal. There are carbon structures formed during the tempering of steel which happen even at room temperature.

As for your warning in PM not to post false information, there is no need for a warning. As a moderator you represent this form and you have clearly shown that actual materials data isn't desired so no issue for me, lots of places want actual discussion of materials data, no need to talk to people who don't want it.

This is a knifemaker forum and no knifemaker I know of talks about tempering at temps. below 300 degrees. I'm simply trying to keep people from being confused. Effective tempering for knife blades DOES NOT happen until 300 or higher. Anything else is just splitting hairs. If you want to confuse people then, by all means, do it elsewhere because as long as I'm here I wont allow it.
I sent you the PM as a courtesy and you chose to talk about it here so I'll close with this. I know your reputation and that you have been banned from several forums for starting this kind of stuff so tread lightly or one of us will be banned from here too.
I'm closing this down for obvious reasons so if anybody needs any other info. send me a PM/email or start a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back