New Year Resolution Knives

Dennis Morland

KNIFE MAKER
It has been a little while since I posted up pictures of a completed knife. I have been busy with that full-time job thing. I’m not complaining – it is nice to be employed. It just gets in the way of my knife time. Also, cold weather kept me out of the garage this winter. It has slowed down at work and warmed up a bit and I’m back at it.

Nonetheless, Bossdog posted a thread about our New Years’ resolutions back in December/January.

http://knifedogs.com/showthread.php...nife-related-pledge&highlight=year+resolution

This was my resolution.

“I am going to make all my nieces and nephews a knife.”

I have been busy trying to accomplish this task. I have 18 knives that have been profiled, ground and heat-treated. 15 nieces and nephews and my 3 children (aka The Cousins' Knives). Most of them are lying on my bench waiting for final sanding before handle attachment. The recipients range in ages from 24 to 8.

Most wanted their favorite colors for the handle. Some will get liners, some bolsters, some will get a little bit funky, I let each of them decide using their own personalities.

I have three (3) that I can post pictures of to give you a flavor. I started with the simplest handles, Black G-10, Purple G-10 and Green G-10. Sheaths are black, saddle tan and raisin/mahogany. The knives still need final polish and sharpening. I’ll wait for the other 15 to catch up to do those tasks.
I’m looking forward to a group shot of all 18. That will mean this process is completed.

Be careful when selecting a New Year's Resolution. Most of them are a lot of work!

DeMo

View attachment 47613View attachment 47614View attachment 47615View attachment 47616View attachment 47617View attachment 47618

A few more ready for final polish and sharpening. I have 8 out of 18 completed thus far. I have 4 more getting ready to attach the handles. Just about on the downhill slide.

Pink/blue with pink liners and light brown, antique brown sheath.
Pink with black liners and black, antique black sheath.
Black/blue with black liners and black sheath.

I'll just keep grinding them out.

DeMo

View attachment 48429View attachment 48430View attachment 48431View attachment 48432View attachment 48433View attachment 48434

Just finished up one more. I only have one to go.

This one has a 416 SS bolster, 416 1/8 pin and an aluminum thong tube. Black G10 handle. Sheath is antique black with black edges.

With a little bit of luck, I will have them all finished up, sharpened and ready for delivery in a week or two. Wish me luck, I want to get this project completed so that I can move on to another project.

I cannot wait to take a picture of all of them together. That will mean I am finally finished.

DeMo

View attachment 50037View attachment 50038

Last edited:
Those are nice that is one heck of a job I'm sure all the nieces and nephews are going to have the coolest uncle in town.

Back