stuff that has mineral oil i can use for knives?

SHOKR

hi!

the title gave it away i know :D

i want to use something to coat the blades that can be used for cutting food
i have no access to CANOLA oil, i heard recently its sold in big supermarkets but very expensive, my other option is mineral oil but the only source i found sells it by the barrel!
a friend suggested products that contain/mainly made out of mineral oil like baby oil, which supposedly in very small dosage (wiped thin layer off a knife for example) would be ok for human consumption

any other products you guys know?

thanks

Hello Ahmad, How are you doing?
Do they not sell mineral oil at the Pharmacies there? The kind people drink of give to their kids to make them go poop?
That is plain mineral oil and its the kind I recommend people use to coat carbon steel and put on their kitchen cutting boards to renew the wood, or even drink if they need to poop! :biggrin:

You don't want to use olive or canola on knives or cutting boards because these will turn rancid exposed to air and can grow a bacteria that will make you poop like a Goose! Lots of poopy talk here in my answer.

So is mineral oil being sold in a Pharmacy just a older western thing? Mineral oil is sold in wood care products here for culinary boards, that might be a source? Baby oil here in the USA has a smell to it that I don't think most people would like around food?

I hope some of this is helpful?

hi Laurence
i'm doing good! been busy more than usual, not used to that! :pinch:
thats very helpful, i will check in the pharmacies. i hope i find it! thank you Laurence :)

lol and yes, lots of poopy talk, but it puts quite an emphasis on the point ;)

I know this is an older thread but thought I would throw in another thought for anybody that might stumble by. Balistol is an awesome lubricant and rust protector and is approved for use in food prep areas on on food prep tools by the FDA. Just a thought!

I normally avoid linking back to the supply site in main forum posts but I can't pass this one up.

Ballistol is what you are looking for.

Non-toxic, mostly mineral oil, prevents rust, decent cutting good lube.
The story goes it was developed by Germany in WW1 and had to act as a rust preventative, gun lube and first aide ointment for wounds.
It is my first choice for lube in my shop. I love the stuff.

Thanks Tracy! I'm glad you posted the link. I was not aware that you carried it. I use the stuff like its water in my shop. Once you get over the smell it kinda becomes addicting I think. Great stuff and non-toxic to boot! I would highly recommend giving the stuff a try if all you have used in the past is WD-40.

Thanks Tracy! I'm glad you posted the link. I was not aware that you carried it. I use the stuff like its water in my shop. Once you get over the smell it kinda becomes addicting I think. Great stuff and non-toxic to boot! I would highly recommend giving the stuff a try if all you have used in the past is WD-40.

That's the problem with using Balistol for food prep culinary knives. It stinks!

Back