954 bronze

scott.livesey

Dealer - Purveyor
hi,
has anyone used 954 bronze for bolsters? how did you attach? we use it at the office for press gibs and gate guides, so i have a couple pounds of used pieces.
thanks

I'm not sure about those questions Scott- but if you'll ship me a sample I'll sure try it and report back {g}

Just use it, attach just like brass and go for it.

Ken H>

I'm not sure about those questions Scott- but if you'll ship me a sample I'll sure try it and report back {g}

Just use it, attach just like brass and go for it.

Ken H>
well, you cant braze it, can't use a torch, soldering is not recommended, the mig wire is thru the roof expensive and only used for this application. was thinking maybe JB Weld with all surfaces being really rough so it holds.

This is the info I googlized.

APPLICATIONS
954 Aluminum Bronze has a wide range of applications, including bushings, hydraulic valve parts, pump rods, guide pin bushings, gibs, slides, bending tools, bearings, wear plates, screw nuts, gear wheels, worm gears, pickling hooks, spur gears, landing gear parts, valve seats, high strength clamps, pressure blocks, machine parts, etc.

MACHINE-ABILITY AND WELD-ABILITY
954 Aluminum Bronze has a machine-ability rating of 60% as compared to 360 Brass. Welding, brazing, and soldering of 954 Aluminum Bronze can be performed with standard practices, however, oxyacetylene welding is not recommended.

HEAT TREATING
954 Bearing Bronze can be stress relieved at 600°F. The time at temperature is one hour per 1 inch of section thickness. This solution heat treat temperature is between 1600°-1675°F. The time at temperature is one hour per inch of section thickness. The quenching medium is water.

Annealing

The annealing temperature for this alloy is between 1150°-1225°F. The time at temperature is one hour per inch of section thickness.

I wouldn't trust JB-Weld by itself Scott. A little JB-Weld as a sealer would be great but I would pin it. Do you have pin stock in the same grade?

I've tried using once so far. That knife didn't work out for reasons unrelated to the bronze. I'll get up to trying it again some day because I really like the color, but it is the hardest metal I've ever filed short of hardened steel.

Back