Finished #3 a drop point

Justin Presson

Ok this one gave me some fits. Started out I sanded all the scale off from heat treat and decided to do a black etch on the blade. So I soaked it in ferric chloride and then boiled it in trisodium phosphate to neutralize the acid. The flats came out black like I wanted but the bevels not so much. After sanding it all down again I thought I did not get all the decarb scale off tried it again and was just not satisfied. So I epoxied and pinned the handles on and got them shaped. Then I decided to cold blue it. It looked ok but just not what I wanted....more sanding!!. You can see some of the cold blue right up by the front of the handle I could not get sanded. Next problem I had was trying to peen the pins the high points in the carved bone did not allow my hammer to get in all the way so could only go so far and I may have left the pins to long. The lanyard tube was a first for me too. Overall I like the design of the knife and it seems like it will be a good user. I'm still learning so this is all good experience.

Anyways here is the knife and specs.

80CRV2 high carbon steel
Overal length just shy of 8"
Cutting edge 3 1/4"
Handle is dyed carved bone
Nickel/silver pins and lanyard tube
All done with files and elbow grease

I still need to put final edge on it and make a sheath.

Let me know what ya think.

uploadfromtaptalk1398216303182.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398216327318.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398216344312.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398216379243.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1398216400504.jpg

Last edited:
I made a few knives with files in the beginning. I know it takes a lot of time and effort. Nice looking knife you ended up with for your effort. I think you did a fine job.

Thanks fellas. I got the 1x42 fired up yesterday and profiled two more small capers and wow does that save sometime! I can tell it's going to take a fine touch but I'm in no rush.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Looks good from what I can see Justin. As long as the pins don't create a "hot spot" they'll be fine. Keep playing with the etch until you get the look you want.

Thanks for letting me bend your ear the other day. It is definitely a learning process this knife making. ..Part machinist part artist part chemist :D all fun

I forgot to mention that some skiners that Darrin Sanders made inspired this knife a bit and he gave me some great pointers on working with this handle material I'm sure it would not have come out as nice if he had not shared some of his knowledge with me.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

You're more than welcome Justin, I enjoy helping when I can, especially when the person I help makes something that looks so nice. We're gonna work on that etching too, so don't give up. I have a couple of ideas that'll help you out. I'll tell you about it when we talk again.

Back