I got my first 2x72 but

Sargeant1215

As u saw from the title of my post I got my first 2x72 grinder about 3 weeks ago and I'm still not use to the smoothness flow of the belt omg it's amazing but the level of control just is not there to where I should be comfortable with it I'm not by any means intimidated by the machine by any means at all but wood just what can I do to train my self to get use to it all

Calvin's peaks the truth. Start grinding some knives! Post pictures of your progress, and you'll get answers to specific questions or problems.

Don't practice grinding with dull or old belts, starting the temptation is to use a belt to nothing, but belts cut way different fresh vs old and worn.

Sent from my RM-878_nam_usa_100 using Tapatalk

Like has been said before, practice. Buy as much 1095 (or similar) steel and start making knives. On belts, act like they are free (believe me I know they are not) use new ones to start your bevels with, once they become worn save them for shaping handles with, profiling, ect....

The best way to learn to make knives is to work with a more experienced maker if you can and dive in head first and just do it. When you find something you need to work on, concentrate on that until you master it and then move on to the next thing you have trouble with.

I am trying to find people in my area and out side my county I've tried mike carter Gil hibbens and kit Carson mike is on back order Gil has had two shoulder replacements and kit well he just at the stage in his life he would rather spend time with the grand kids and his wife hell he's right at 65 I'd say he's done teaching he's also having some medical problems right now so if y'all know of anyone in Ky please tell me my ears a wide open

The bubble jig has helped many to focus on the basics again while getting use to a whole new animal of a machine.

They are for sale at usa knife makers as well as jantz and you can also buy them directly threw frank by going to the for sale section of the forum. I have heard nothing but great things about them, but have not personally used one.

The bubble jig is a great idea! I got one and it improved my grinding 1000% in a day! Get one, I seriously doubt that you will be sorry. Fred Rowe (the maker of BJ) is a great guy and will help you with any questions too - he did with me.

Look guys I am about to move I have no!!!!!!!!!! Money at all none plus from where I and my wife is on disability they lowered our checks look I want y'all to know that I love u guys I. The knife community as if u all were my family u all have been there for me from the beginning it's gotten so bad I had a nervous break down last night I had to go to the er just what do you do when ur back is against the wall between you your family your dreams ur wife and ur life where do u start and when does it end I had to pawn all of my personal knives and collection just to make rent and get food for my wife any thoughts

Sargeant1215,

I'm real new here so maybe I've missed some of the background to your situation. It sounds like you are trying to learn knife making as a means of income? If that is the case, perhaps with the stress you are under this is too big an undertaking right now. If your disability allows you to do something physical as knife making would it be wiser to find a part time job that will help you with rent/food? It doesn't seem like starting a new path with a large learning curve is going to meet short term needs. possibly a simple job to supplement your disability would make up for what has been cut from your income. I would pursue the least stressful avenue right now (even if it is not what you would like to do) until you are back on your feet.

I wish you the best. I was running on fumes about 8yrs ago and thought I would never tunnel my way out but I have. It did mean setting aside some dreams for a while. you might see if some of the churches in your area have financial counseling. Stress can often keep us from making practical decisions, or seeing things as clearly as we need to.

If I'm totally missing something here, my apologies. I'm not trying to jump to conclusions, just offer a perspective.

Ted

You didn't say what type of 2X72 grinder you got? What belt speed/RPM are you running at? The single speed grinders tend to be FAST!!! and scary. Slow belt speed down and it will be MUCH less scary and easier to control. You can also practice on cheap mild steel you pick up at hardware.... even wood is good to practice for a start.

Have fun! 2X72" grinders are sorta pricey but nice!!

Ken h>

Last time I had a job i about had a heart attack and no I want to do this for income but this is what I want to do with my life I want this more than anything but most of all sense I met my wife it not just me anymore I have some one I want to protect I hope u all understand what that mean I want this for the right reasons I want a family and one day I want to pass down what I know to my kids it's not about the money but what it represents and that is u see I'm authisic I have Asperger's syndrome and by all mean please don't get the wrong idea I want to learn so I can show the world that just because I'm different doesn't mean the my dream can't come true but that I just have to work harder to achieve my goal that is at the end of the tunnel and that is happiness I've worked so hard in my life I've persevered over all obstacles and there were time that I just wanted to give up until I met my wife and that told me that was the sign from The Lord that I've made it but I want to start making knives I will push and push and nothing will get in my way nothing so please is there any one that can help me for me this is real life I may be young me at 24 and my wife at 21 but that doesn't mean I don't know what I want and what I want to to find my mentor I know ur out there I will do what I have to swim across and ocean and climb the tallest mountain I just really want this to happen.

My grinder comes from pheer grinders owned by Jose Navarro and it's a modified ph427 with a white washdown 1 1/2 hp baldor motor it goes 3427 rpm I have just a flat platen attachment and a work rest so I'm limited on what I can do but I will make do with what I have

I've heard a lot of good things about Pheer grinders - did you get the variable speed with the grinder? If not, and the 3450 RPM motor is direct mounted (depending on drive wheel diameter) I'll bet that belt is spinning scary fast!!

Good luck

Back