Drill or not

Justin Presson

Hey guys I need some advice here. I have this blade I'm going to be putting these carved bone scales on and I wanted to know should I drill some more holes in the tang for the Epoxy to go through or is roughing it up enough?. I had several holes drilled in the previous 2 knives I did but this one I just drilled the holes for the pins. This is only my 3rd knife so not sure if it matters that much.

blade has already been heat treated that is why I ask. Thanks

uploadfromtaptalk1397338349164.jpg

Justin,
Holes work well to let the epoxy through and with a little practice you can hollow out the center of your handles, I use a 3/4" 1 or 2" wheel depending on wide the handle is?

Another very important thing is to prep the steel well before you epoxy. I leave my steel & handle in the contact area at 80-120 grit and wash it with ammonia or acetone to remove all oils.

You should be fine Justin. Just be sure that you clean the holes in both the tang and handle material just as well as you clean the tang and scales. I also knock the tarnish off of the pins with some 220X paper then clean them with alcohol too. Cleaning the tarnish isn't as important for handle material but really helps to make bolster pins invisible. If you leave the tarnish on there you sometimes get a little ring that wont go away no matter what you do.

Thanks guys. Thanks for the tips on drilling that bone to Darrin that worked out pretty slick! and probably saved me some frustration :)

Back