Goddard's Goop .

Status
Not open for further replies.

AkWildman

So the wife just presented me with a gallon jar of bacon grease ,actually she said will you get rid of this for me .I have a few gallons of used atf I know the wife has a ton of paraffin.Has /does anyone use the goop and what are your thoughts.I can't bring myself to dump the grease.

I haven't used it myself. I have used canola and it turns rancid after a while. Any natural animal or vegetable oils will turn rancid after a while. I would think that it might work for a while before it does. It would be a slower quench than straight canola or peanut oil I would guess

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

It would make a great accelerant for small fires, like your charcoal/coal forge, burning brush or leaves. Before it goes rancid you could use it to slick back your hair and have a tempting bacon aroma, perhaps soften leather with it??... or just dump it.

I made and used some of that years ago.
It smells great when quenching. There are better and cheaper alternatives including almost any other kind of oil out there.
Wayne made that stuff during a different time in knife making. We have better knowledge and product availability now.

Goddard's Goop was developed by Wayne Goddard to have a quenchant that would not slosh all over the trunk of his car while traveling to demos. I've used it and found it to be rather on the slow side. Vegetable oil would do a better job. I'd toss the the bacon grease, maybe with a little vinegar over a wilted salad, but I would toss it.

Doug

i say mix up a batch, but mineral spirits instead of parafin. put it into 1 quart jugs. go to one of the other knife forums that are a little behind the times and advertise it as "Wonder Quench." Say that it gives the same results as triple quenching but that you dont have to have the freezer facing Bethlehem.(Pa.) you should be sold out in a day. i mean if a moderator of one of their forums posts that the scratch pattern on precision ground flat stock is really grain and effects blade strength(cross my heart, it really happened), they should welcome your wonder quench with open arms.

Last edited:
Goddard's Goop was developed by Wayne Goddard to have a quenchant that would not slosh all over the trunk of his car while traveling to demos. I've used it and found it to be rather on the slow side. Vegetable oil would do a better job. I'd toss the the bacon grease, maybe with a little vinegar over a wilted salad, but I would toss it.

Doug

Doug you're the first person that for north that I've ever heard mention a wilted salad or as we call it "wilted lettuce". Heck there are even people here in LA that look at you funny when you mention it. All I know is that wilted lettuce, hot cornbread, & Lima beans is one of the best meals in the world.

Sorry for the hijack Wildman but cooking is about the best use for bacon grease. Get something else for quenching blades.

Do not throw away the Bacon Grease.......... Its a sacrilege.........

When you are working away forging or grinding, you can dip a hot blade in the grease from time-to-time to remind you that it is time to stop what you are doing and have a bacon sandwich. :biggrin:

Other than the wonderful smell of hot bacon grease, it serves absolutely no purpose in a knife shop.

You know I often wonder what this small world of knife making would be like if Wayne Goddard hadn't contributed so much of his life towards this craft.

You know I often wonder what this small world of knife making would be like if Wayne Goddard hadn't contributed so much of his life towards this craft.

We would all be quite a bit further behind where we are now. We all owe Wayne thanks. I am a big fan of his.

I agree as well, I have said before that Wayne’s book “The Wonder of Knifemaking” with its pages of excellent metallurgical data, should be required reading for any aspiring knifemaker. However, while Wayne is a person we can all respect, bacon grease is just bacon grease. While the craft of knifemaking has greatly benefited from the contributions of people like Wayne, it has also been held back by folks attaching personal feelings when methods or ideas could be improved on. I hope our community is mature enough to understand that we can point out better ideas without any disrespect to, or animosity for, individuals who did it another way.

I started the ball rolling with my levity, and it did snowball a bit, but I think I can speak for the other jokers in this thread when I say we did our best to have fun with old bacon grease in order to divert the focus away from any criticism of respected colleague. Our craft is growing and advancing with the times, and if we can’t improve on concepts without it being made blasphemy by unnecessary personalization then knifemaking would be sadly stagnated by dogma.

I think it is best to close this thread and end it with what we all have agreed upon and said, just in different ways- Wayne Goddard is a respected knifemaker that has contributed much to our craft, but there are many more practical and efficient ways for the original poster to quench his blades than trying to keep a large quantity of bacon grease on hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back