Oregon Knife Show, 12th and 13th of April

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
Actually the show is open to OKCA members on Friday the 11th of April. I didn't do the show last year but did buy a pass for Saturday and then got busted for sneaking in on Sunday. I figured the least I could do this year is to spring for a table and do the show. I'll be at table H O 8. Same table I've had in the past. Unfortunately Bruce Bump pulled out of the show last year. I'm sure I won't be the only one that will miss him.

The show will be at the Lane County Fair Grounds.

Hope to see a few of you Dogs there.....

Ray I can hardly wait till Friday. I'll swing by say hi after I get the table set up. I'll be at the 5160 Club table over at m10.

Erik

I wont be there Friday day time, bit the wife and I will be there Sat and Sun walking around and visiting. I'll have a couple of my knives on hand to show.
4.jpg1.jpg

i'll be there with 10 new knives! i'm really looking forward to meeting some board members!

I'm sorry to say I won't make it again this year. I've been to this show at least 10 years and it has to be one of the best anywhere. The income from there slowed down several years ago but there are still some buyers there. I've always enjoyed most meeting my knife friends there and checking out all the tables and displays.

A month before the OKCA Show in the club news letter they were asking table holders to enter one of there special bowies into a special bowie knife display that the show was putting on. I decided to enter one I had made in the fall of 2009. It was an order for a customer. I told the customer if it was not what he wanted not to feel obligated to purchasing it. He told me he just wanted a big bowie knife along the lines of a short sword and that was what I made. Anyway he decided he did not want it so I just kept it. I liked it so much that it stayed in my bowie knife short sword collection ever since except for this past weekend. I had no idea these display knives were being judged until Chuck Richards told me I had a knife that won an award. Here's the knife and the award. Only bad thing is I no longer have my bowie knife short sword collection.

IMG_9113.JPG

IMG_1468.JPG

Last edited:
Ray, Congrats on the award!!!
You are back in the saddle again. I'm happy for ya.

Still riding side saddle. My brain is still on the horse, just need to convince my body. All and all this was the most productive OKCA Show I have done to date. Taking 2013 did me some good.

Congrats Ray, well deserved award. I enjoyed meeting you in Little Rock and thanks again for making my grandson one of the happiest kids around.

Stan

Stan,
At one Oregon Show I took my 12 year old Nephew Dalton to meet Raymond. Dalton had cash in his pocket for a knife. I jokingly asked Ray what he had in Daltons price range and to our surprise he showed us a sweet little hunter off the table! I urged Dalton that it was a good deal so he gave Ray a $20 and Ray gave him $5 back in change. They don't make too many Men like Raymond.
Congrats Ray, well deserved award. I enjoyed meeting you in Little Rock and thanks again for making my grandson one of the happiest kids around.

Stan

Stan

Stan, I sure got a kick out of Tony. He reminded me so much of myself when I was 8 years old. Just before I surprised him with the knife he was telling me how good it felt in the hand. It was good to meet you also.

Congratulations! That is one handful of knife, looks real nice.

Guess I never did say how large it was. The blade itself is 15 1/2". I know the overall measurement was over 17". The blade is W-2 with a nice hamon, it there just not in this old photo. Used a piece of western elk antler for the handle and wrought iron wagon wheel for the fittings. When I got the handle I ended up buying a whole elk rack.

Ray, the pictures is a fine image, but I got to see the knife first hand and it doesn't do it justice. good job and congrats

Erik

Back