Wa handle dimensions?

Pelallito

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this question, f it isn't please move it.
I have two knives I want to put wa handles on. One is quite small and the other a bit larger.
I will add dimensions later from house.
Any help happily accepted.
Thanks,
Fred

Hi Fred,
if you aren't that familar with wa's? Stop by a local store that sells Japanese knives with wa's and fondle a few to get a few ideas of shapes and dimensions. I call it, market research.

Hi Laurence,
Since I live in desolate/uncivilized south Florida, don't know any store that carries Wa handled knives. My only exposure to them has been on the net.
Believe me when I say that I want to fondle some of those Japanese knives( In a good way). I love market research!!
I wish I were a lot closer to your store, you would have a hard time getting rid of me. LOL
Thanks, Fred

Fred, the sizes are pretty standard. The majority of wa handles on J knives are mass produced. If you get your knife specs up I have a few dozen factory handles from jobs past that I use for reference.

Seriously speaking, all I am after is a starting point say- 7/8" front and 1 1/8" rear at widest points say 4 to 5 inches long? What degree taper front to back?
I am going to experiment with some high quality pine 2 by 4s, but I hate wasting expensive material! LOL
Thanks again,
Fred

[Mike928,
Thanks for the reply. One of the two I am working on is this-ATTACH=CONFIG]47378[/ATTACH]
It is 440C, still not hardened.
OAL-10"
Blade length-6 5/8th"
Handle -3 5/16th"
blade 1 3/4" at widest point.
About .090 thick at spine and about .015 at edge.
Any and all recommendations accepted happily.
Thanks,
Fred

Attachments

• jknife.jpg
    jknife.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Sorry double post.
Don't know how to delete this photo without wiping photo on previous post.
Thanks,
Fred

Attachments

• jknife.jpg
    jknife.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
tall wide
back 1.15 0.9 inches
front 0.95 0.75

5.5 inches long

Sorry the table is a little out of alignment it was posted from my notes in excell

John and Mike,
Thank you both for your valuable help!!!
Mike, I am going to rat tail the tang. I was also thinking of putting my
file guide on the tang and putting a small shoulder on the top
and bottom for the front piece and/or ferrule to shoulder up to.
Thanks again,
Fred

Fred,

Just saw this. At the Hialeah Wa handle shop 18mm x 22mm at the front and 22mm x 26mm at the back would be a medium(normal) size Wa. Length your choice.

Got to renew your visa next time you travel north and I will invite you to the Wa handle shop! LOL

George

George,
City of Hialeah is giving me a hard time about renewing my visa, something about evil companions and lowering the standards of their fair city!
You can add small and large Wa dimensions anytime you get around to it. Plus a link to a inch/mm page. LOL
Fred

some ideas,
get a block of wood, 22mm(wide)x26mm, might be easier to find 1"tall, 3/4"wide, several inches longer than final size. set up table saw so blade height is a touch tall than tang. cut a centered slot about 1/2" longer than tang. you may have to open the slot with carbide burr. you can shape handle now or epoxy blade in place with or with out pins.
get your wood but wider, again longer than final size. set up router table to cut a rabbet a taller than tang, same depth as tang thickness. cut you rabbet about 1/8" longer than tang. use carbide burr on dremel to square the rabbet. do your math and rip the wood to get your two bookmatched handle pieces. epoxy and shape.
just some ideas

Scott,
Thank you for your advice and help. I would have sworn that I thanked you shortly after you posted, but it seems to have disappeared. I have not been on forum for several days. Sorry to be so slow.
Fred

Fred & Scott,
That store opened up about a year ago. Its a few miles from my place. They have a well done informative site with good info about the traditional Japanese handles.

Notice that many of those knives that they sell have western style handles on the Japanese style blade. I sell far more production Japan knives with the full tang western handles. Just some observations for you if you are planning on marketing your final product.

Last edited:
Notice that many of those knives that they sell have western style handles on the Japanese style blade. I sell far more production Japan knives with the full tang western handles. Just some observations for you if you are planning on marketing your final product.
what weight difference do you see between full tang and partial tang. i have made several knives with same size blade, but some full tang some half tang. i see a difference in total weight and balance.

what weight difference do you see between full tang and partial tang. i have made several knives with same size blade, but some full tang some half tang. i see a difference in total weight and balance.

I purchased a few dozen kitchen knives back in '08 when the knife bug finally bit me hard; since then, I've sold or modified every western style knife into a Wa handle. Personally Wa handle knives feel better in the hand and to my eye, they look much more interesting. Of course, being that we are in western nation with people here being conditioned to look for a Wusthof type knife, its no surprise that we'd see a bit less interest in traditional Japanese handles. Crazy enough 8 out 10 knives that I've had commissioned of the past 2 years have been Wa handle knives, it seems people like 'em. :D

Guys,
Right now I want to successfully make a wa handle. I like how they look and am curious about how the knife feels in the hand.
Its a challenge that I want to overcome.
I started on my first attempt yesterday, a purpleheart and of all things blue corian ferrule. I happened to have some of each handy when I started.
Fred

Back