TW-90 surface grinder vacuum set up Shop Tip

Tom Lewis

There was another thread about the TW-90, so I thought I would show my vacuum set up for it. The TW-90 surface grinding attachment throws horizontal sparks. I used a plastic dust hood that wood working stores sell. I attached a flexible vacuum hose from the hood to my vacuum system. The pictures show the rest.

Attachments

• 006 (640x480).jpg
    006 (640x480).jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 012 (640x480).jpg
    012 (640x480).jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 134
  • 014 (640x480).jpg
    014 (640x480).jpg
    105 KB · Views: 113
Great set up! Just so newer guys hear this. Clean out your vac after you have collected wood dust/shavings with it before you start using the vac on grinding steel! The reason I know this is I started a fire in the collector! :what!:

I smelled smoke and got to the fire extinguisher fast! I could have burnt down the building!

Laurence, thanks for the reminder! Possible fire is something to be very aware of. I have several smoke detectors inside my shop and by the dust collector which is outside.
Laurence, I notice you live in Santa Monica. I was born in Santa Monica and for the first 9 months of my life lived on Oak Street.

Tom,
Oak st is still here! And Santa Monica is more overgrown than ever! I have a sprinkler alarm system in the building I rent and I have THREE fire extinguishers in my shop. Fire scares the cr@p out of me!

Tom,
That is a neat way to hold those "funnels". Easy to move and adjust.

How do you like your TW-90?

Ted

Ted, I have a square wheel grinder, a burr king, a Dozier, and a JL grinder. The TW-90- is by far the best. It is very well designed and a real pleasure to use.

Ted, I have a square wheel grinder, a burr king, a Dozier, and a JL grinder. The TW-90- is by far the best. It is very well designed and a real pleasure to use.

Have you tried a Beaumont Metal Works KMG?

If so, how does it compare?

How is it "better" specifically?

If better, is it superior in ways that would be of value only to a knife maker, or anyone that was looking at general purpose belt grinder?

I'm on the fence . . . KMG or TW-90 ?

Steve

Last edited:
I have never used a KMG. I have heard many good things about it, and I think there are many satisfied owners of the KMG. Beaumont Metal Works is a first class shop and they produce excellent products.
The TW-90 will change from vertical to horizontal which I like. For me the TW-90 is the perfect grinder.

Maybe someone who owns both the KMG and the TW-90 could compare them for you.

Ok, I guess I'm the only one that noticed, THAT SPANKY SHARP ANSWER to having a super SICK surface grinder, can can you please
give me the guys contact info for it. THANKS, REX

Travis Wuertz, 520-251-2083

Tom,
Thanks! I stumbled upon his video on YouTube, it was amazing! I only hope he has an answer for using this surface grinder attachment vertically, there is no way I could swing buying his TW90, though it looks like an awesome grinder, it is cost prohibitive , that is why I would really love it if he made it work vertically, to save money and still have a surface grinder! Which I need so very badly! I will contact him ASAP! Hoping he has a solution! Thanks again, Rex

Have you tried a Beaumont Metal Works KMG?

If so, how does it compare?

How is it "better" specifically?

If better, is it superior in ways that would be of value only to a knife maker, or anyone that was looking at general purpose belt grinder?

I'm on the fence . . . KMG or TW-90 ?

Steve

The diff from the KMG to even the Hardcore Products grinder is like going from a old stock pickup truck to a well tuned sports car. i own both and both work and the KMG is a great solid machine, but when you move up to the Hardcore, Burr king level its a huge change in smoothness and tracking and then the TW-90 is another level.

The TW-90 will be my next grinder purchase.

Back