a quick quenction

slatroni

I have done a search here on Knife Dog and watched a bunch of You tube videos. I am still not sure about what to use for the quench oil barring the high dollar oils. I have read canella oil, salt brine and used motor oil So what is the best media for a quench on 1095 and what temp should I use?

Thanks for the help!
Steve

I have use both peanut and canella oil at about 120°. They both seem to work well. I like the smell of the peanut oil best.

I haven't been able to do any HT myself yet, but planning to soon. A friend was using Transmission fluid, and said it worked great- which seemed to be the case. However the fumes was a no go for me, he didn't wear any kind of respirator or seemed to mind he was inhaling the fumes. After a small verbal scalding, I decided cooking oil would be the best option after seeing that.

From what I've read on here, and many other forums, a lot of people have had great success with Canola or Peanut oil.

For 1095, canola is faster than peanut oil, and speed is critical with 1095. ATF will do for 01, but there are better oils. ATF will not work for 1095 however. It is much too slow. If you insist on 1095 as a common steel for your work, you really need Parks #50, or an equivalent commercial oil in order to achieve the max results out of it.

Last edited:
Yes,ATF does not work on 1095. I quenched some in it Tuesday and after tempering it at 450 for two hours it is only 62 Rc. Now what am I going to do?:sad:

I have done a search here on Knife Dog and watched a bunch of You tube videos. I am still not sure about what to use for the quench oil barring the high dollar oils. I have read canella oil, salt brine and used motor oil So what is the best media for a quench on 1095 and what temp should I use?

Thanks for the help!
Steve

Of these three, I would choose brine and pray with my fingers crossed while knocking on wood. You'll lose a few blades due to cracking. If you're gonna use peanut or canola to quench you're better off using 1084.

Thank you all for for the replies! I started with the 1095 for the price cuz I am new at grinding. Once this batch of steel is gone I will try something different.
Thanks again
Steve

Yep, canola oil. Same story for me. Have been grinding on 1095 because of price also. Good move too as I have struggled.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk

Try either 1075 if you want some hamon or what I started with 1084 next. Both are great steels. 1080 types are simple to heat treat and make very nice knives.

George, I do like a hamon. It gives a knife that something extra. I am feeling a bit uneasy with my upcoming first heat treat. The dreaded pig has me a bit nervous. Next batch, I will try one of the 1080's.

hi,
there numerous posts here on KD that soy or peanut or canola oil can be used to quench in, although they might not have the speed for 1095. these are food grade oils with a high flash point and should be safe. ATF has a low flash point and the additives listed as Alkyl phosphites can be nasty stuff, as in neuro-toxins.
as Darrin mentioned, try a 10%brine (1lb of salt to 1 1/2gal water) heated to 140F or so.
good luck

Back