Honeycomb

prisonbreak

I've got a question, I've been interested in prickly pear cactus skeleton knife scales for a while, just today I came across something which never crossed my mind..........Honeycomb, has anyone made scales of these incased in resin, pic's, tutorial more than welcome

Attachments

• IMG373.jpg
    IMG373.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG374.jpg
    IMG374.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 26
Honeycomb / wasp nest

I have a photo of a filled wasp's nest interframe that appeared in the September, 1992 Blade. I don't know how to post a photo but will be glad to email it to you if you would like to post it. I started with a large nest, cleaned it, dyed it black (India ink), placed it in the bottom of a milk carton (cut off at about 2 inches), then covered with thin epoxy and placed under vacuume. Once the epoxy sets, simply band saw in slabs, grind back flat glue on a backer, the fiber liner material works fine, and is necessary to lend stability. The backed slab does need to be contained laterally lest the little hexagons break off, thus the need for an interframe. Hope this helps.

My Friend/Knife maker Bruce Gillespie Made Scales out of Wasp Nest. Very Cool lookin

Back