Us slipjoint makers are nuts!

Calvin Robinson

Moderator Christian Forum
I'm sitting here,just finished lunch,thinking about what I'm going to do in a few minutes when I get back in the shop. The knife I've been working on for a week,I've got the blade polished and now I'm going to dip in ACID! Then I'm going to assymble it for the last time and start BEATING ON IT WITH A HAMMER!
WHATS WRONG WITH ME?
:biggrin:

Calvin,
If you are expecting any sound minds that find anything unusual about that around here, you are sadly mistaken!

What else would you be doing??:nothing::nothing:

Calvin

You must have a really good union representative. Your post says you get a lunch break.

WOW! I want that deal. . .:biggrin:

DeMo

And I have to aim for a spot somewhere on the scale to have any chance at all of hitting the pin!:biggrin:

The truth is I'm into the screwing business - well because I make liner locks. I currently have a "student" a couple of times a week that still s wondering if the screws we use are real. He is a heave duty mechanic. Frank

The truth is I'm into the screwing business - well because I make liner locks. I currently have a "student" a couple of times a week that still s wondering if the screws we use are real. He is a heave duty mechanic. Frank
Frank,I can just imagine what he thinks about the tiny screws we use,to me,a 4-40 screw is HUGE!

I agree. i've spent several days on just the perfect little slip joint and hammered it together as the last operation. Yes, I slipped and cracked an ivory handle scale. We must be nuts but Ive ruined lots of knives besides folders. I have a box of trashed blades and botched handles under my bench and another box of screwed up damascus.
There should be a better method of installing pins than to hammer them in. I seem to always bend them in the middle and the blade won't center so I went to larger diameter pins but now they want to swell out in the middle and bind. Slippies just don't look right with screws IMO. Besides I've broken off several taps.

Last edited:
Bruce, I would be willing to bet the stuff in your trash box looks better than most of our "best yets"!! If you ever need anyone to take out the "trash" at the shop just let me know.:biggrin:

Bill

Yes, Bruce, Bill said it. You sure do super stuff. I'll bet your junk would be pretty cool to look over.
A few years back it seemed to me many makers of folders other than liner locks, were spinning the heads on pins. I haven't seen much of that lately. Frank

Ok,this is the knife I was working on when I started this thread. I got it acid etched,hammered together sanded and polished and I'm pretty happy with it.
The .055" damasteel blade is 2 1/4" long.
I made two,.010" thick stainless steel washers to use for anti scratch relief.
The knife is 3 1/4" long closed,5/16" thick.
410 stainless integral bolster/liners,hand rubbed to 1000 grit,416 stainless steel pins.
Elephant ivory scales,they are polished but I couldn't capture that in the photo.
Yes that's right,no nail nick,I didn't forget it,you don't need it on this easy open knife. It's thin and light,it's easy to open and it walks and talks like a Banty Rooster!
Y'all enjoy!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 59
Amazing knife, Calvin. I bet with those dimensions, it would be a pleasure to carry. I see absolutely no signs of the abuse you alleged in your first post, by the way.:3:

Bill

you don't have to be nuts to be a folder maker... it helps, but its not mandatory.

I have worked out a very easy way to not ding up my bolsters when I am peening them down. first you place one finger on each side of the pin. then you decide what would be the best thing to hit repeatedly so the fold will work as intended. I still have bruises on my thumb from not thinking that one through completely.:biggrin:

great looking folder Calvin
Erik

Last edited:
Calvin that is a pretty little thing. You've pushed the limits on everything. Those caps would sure look pretty with some well done micro-engraved scrolls to top of off.

Very nice Mr Robinson,I did a traper last year with some colorful mammoth ivory that I sweated over the pins for a long time !

Back