My experience with a Pheer 327 grinder Also my first 2 x 72 grinder.

Owen Vernon

Removed as all issues have been resolved. Jose is an easy person to talk to and definately will work with you to meet your needs.

Last edited:
Well I have used a Pheer for over two years with no problems. Jose is generally a soft spoken man who bends over for his clients. I have recommended his product to many beginning knifemakers. I have a problem with my left hand and needed a different platen after using mine for a month or so. Jose made, and shipped it to me at no cost. Two of my friends have each purchased one from him with no issues. Dave got within the last month the new super improved version which is great.

I believe I have the 5" version with the same VFD as yours. I can slow it down to a crawl and it still takes metal away. Just slow the unit down that's why you have the control box. How does yours grind? Does the belt track as set?

I would recommend sending Jose a note referencing your continued concerns. Maybe you both can communicate better in writing. If I had a 4" wheel I would gladly trade with you.

When I ordered mine I waited 8 weeks for it years ago. Jose also answers his phone personally every time I have called him.

Here's a photo of mine, I did the paint job:

2x72Ginder-V01 (1).jpg

The grinder tracks fine. It's a bit amateurish in and fit and finish. For the price I'ts ok. It seems to be a thing these days for custom work to take a lot longer to deliver than the maker quotes at order time. I was rather displeased with the inaccurate delivery time and then the roller coming apart a few seconds after it was up and running. The cut insulation etc etc. The rollers were pre assembled on the flat platen so I wasn't anything I did. Yes I called Jose the next morning as I set the machine up at about 10 at night and have since emailed also. The replacement roller is here and all is going again.

Owen,

We all have a bad one on occasion. Wheels are made by a manufacturer of wheels. They occasionally ship out a lemon. The important things is your up and running. The Pheer is by no means a Caddy of grinders. It gives us decent grinder to start with and not break the bank. Just think about all those who go through a bunch of sanders before getting a grinder. Now that's a real waste of money. I'm sure you will get a lot of enjoyable use out of your grinder.

If I can help you with anything let me know. Be sure and enclose your VFD like I did mine. Keep it closed when grinding or cleaning up. If you use an air compressor keep the box closed when using it. Metal dust can get into the unit and when you use it can short out. (as an electrician in my younger years working with controls I replaced quite a few of them due to leaving them exposed)

Glad to hear everything's working OK.

GB

I've not used a Pheer machine for any length of time so I can't give advise. Although one thing I see of a major issue is the tension arm floating free. It happens not often, but when you blow a belt that spring becomes a projectile. Depending on the tension that only increases the speed of the projectile. Not sure about you guys who use them for years without any problems but if this had happened to me I'd be damn pissed. I'm glad you weren't hurt or anything was damaged due to the flying spring, but I'd say that needs to be redesigned by the maker. Call it a safety recall.... I'm surprised the manufacture guy allowed that to leave his shop knowing that.

Geez.. Wonder why so long ? Has he been paid in advance ? I don't care how cheap they are to buy. If you spend $1000. dollars you should get a good machine. They look very poorly built. And not worth a $1000 dollars. I know other machines cost more and may seem out of reach but a $1000 dollars for some cheap tubing and a low budget VFD and $50 dollar motor does not seem like money well spent.

Well make sure the tension spring is at least made not to fly away and injure or damage something. I saw what Owen has and let me tell you it's not rite ! The spring just sits loose between the frame and tracking arm. No anchor or captioning safety incase a belt were to break and send the spring flying who knows where.

My first post here and I cant help but apply my 2 cents here!

I purchased my Pheer grinder back in November last year and I couldn't begin to tell you how much I love this beast of a machine!! This thing shreds steel and I just have the little one! Jose is a great guy with some of the best customer service on the planet.

The man answers his phone when you call what else needs to be said?? I have spoken with Jose several times about unrelated things that I was seeking help with and he took his time to help when he did not have to do so !! This speaks volumes to me.

The machine is excellent and is very well made IMHO. It has taken my knife making to the next level and then some. Yes its a simple machine and for the price its worth ever Dime again IMHO

I had a really hard time reading the OP wall of text it gave me a headache to be honest but I did read it and it sounds to me like Jose has done everything in his power to make this right.

You know what they say... There is always one and you cant make everybody happy!!

I would recommend Pheer grinders to everyone and I have. A good buddy of mine also purchased one and he is also very pleased with it and with Jose.

Thank you for taking the time to read my Opinion on the matter and I look forward to posting and learning from this forum!

Erik

As far as the spring goes I had a belt break once and nothing happen. I have to ask how much tension are you putting on it to have it fly around like that??? maybe thats why your wheel exploded?? just a though but if you are really so concerned about the little spring just zip tie to the frame

Last edited:
Back