The faceted edge?

Fred Rowe

The straight knife I carry on my hip all week, is .20 through the spine at the plunge lines. A fairly thick cross section. The original secondary bevel was ground at 24 inclusive; but since I use this knife all week long, the edge dulls a little by Wednesday. I have gotten in the habit of setting my Wednesday touch up angle at 28 degrees, my Friday touch up angle at 30 degrees inclusive and my Sunday touch up at 32 degrees.On Monday I re-grind the edge to the original 24 inclusive angle. This routine saves me both time and steel. I lose less steel overall and maintain an excellent edge with good shoulder width behind the edge for strength. I don't believe micro bevel is the correct name for this grind; faceted edge sounds more reasonable since the edge is a compilation of all the angles used to touch up the edge.
DSC01555.JPG

Last edited:
I think microbevel would apply. Can you see each facet?

We have so many names that we use to describe different edge geometries. I think micro bevel is appropriate, taking micro to mean smaller than the larger part of the edge; but a faceted edge is a succession of micros, each facet having its own position on the edge. I happen to use three facets or segments.
How about micro/mini micro/ nano micro :).
I use my new ERU sharpener to do this so I can do it in increments of 1 degree or less. You can see each facet quite clearly under a good loop.

I'll see if I can get a close up of the edge through the loop and post it for you.

Fred

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Last edited:
Are you familiar with the work of Brent Beach on plane blades? What you are doing is somewhat similar, though the reasons are different. He advocates precise angle control, and changing angles witheach finer grit for multiple microbevels, or a faceted edge.

Are you familiar with the work of Brent Beach on plane blades? What you are doing is somewhat similar, though the reasons are different. He advocates precise angle control, and changing angles witheach finer grit for multiple microbevels, or a faceted edge.
I have not but I have him on a you tube link and will study it latter this after noon.

I sharpen leather cutting blades that are used in a mounter machine where the leather is cut like in a metal shear. I do those blades in this manner but with just slight deviations in angle as the grit gets finer. They cut well and the gentleman I sharpen them for says they stay sharp longer than just the single angle. Something to think about.
Thanks for pointing me to Mr. Beach, Fred

And if you polish the facets it would be a convex edge like Moran and Fowler have talked & written about.

I do it in three sets of passes on a belt and then deburr and polish on a buffer loaded with green chrome.

120 grit, 600 grit and 15 micon.

Back