Is brass outdated?

I cast all my Brass and it works where it is needed and preferred, like is said, on a Bowie with Horn.

It’s not completely outdated in terms of it’s properties, but not as aesthetically fashionable as it once was.

It’s easier to machine than steel and some of the other non ferrous metals, yet harder to bend and deform than copper, silver, nickel silver, gold and bronze, generally speaking. On the down side, it doesn’t lend itself well to forging and doesn’t patina as nice as some of the others.

From metallurgical standpoint, I don’t really see anything wrong with it, depending on it’s specific applications and there may be some special instances were it actually makes some sense to use. However, there are usually other practical alternatives.

It does have some useful properties, but I don’t like the looks of it as well as some of the other metals. I like bronze better, and it has a long colorful history as an fine art material. You'll see more "contemporary" high end pieces with bronze than brass. Brass just doesn't have as much class. It makes you think of plumbing fixtures and cheap imported mass produced trinkets and ornaments.

Last edited:
I love brass. I couldn't imagine using the same materials over and over. Sometimes I'll look at piece of Maple Burl and it's just screaming for brass. Stainless, nickel silver, copper, brass... I use and love then all.

For me, and strictly my opinion, it all depends on two things.
1) What type of knife is it going on.
2) Who is my target buyer
I've only been making knives for a few years and I've not posted pictures of my work because it wasn't where I wanted it to be. But that is changing, they are getting to where I want them to be. Anyway, I use brass on a couple of knives I make but they are targeted to people who don't want to drop serious money on a custom knife but want something more affordable. Carbon steel knives are ones that I produce that can and do get brass guards depending on what type of handle material I'm using. I make a small semi drop point that trappers love for doing fine detail work while prepping hides to be tanned and while skinning. It's been my experience that trappers want something that looks nice but preforms it's intended function flawlessly. They want more of a working knife. I also use brass on a couple of drop points I do which are intended for hunters. Again it's the same situation, they want a custom knife, something that looks nice but preforms. If I really break down my costs, brass is cheaper than stainless material so that's why I use it on carbon steel knives. They come in at a price point that people who have always wanted a custom knife but won't or can't afford to spend a couple hundred dollars are more comfortable with.

If I'm making a stainless knife, it gets stainless for a guard unless the customer want's otherwise. If I'm making a stainless knife then it's more likely that I'm trying to get someone who knows something about knives to buy it. That's why my "higher end" and I use that term loosely, knives get stainless guards.

And for handle material, I use wood most of the time. But, it's been stabilized unless it doesn't require it. At this stage, I can't afford to buy stag, ivory, horn and the other high end materials. I have the luxury of having a lumber yard that deals exclusively in high end domestic and exotic hardwoods for furniture makers and musical instrument makers where I can go and hand pic my material.

I hope that made some sort of sense.

John

Last edited:
I've never been one to care much for trends, but most of my work is in out-dated styles anyway...:)
Brass has been around and used for fittings since Roman times, if not earlier, and I suspect it will still be around and used long after we are gone. I personally prefer bronze, and detest nickel-silver, it is too bad that actual silver has become so expensive...

I've only made a couple of dozen knives but I still like and use brass. I have only sold one of my knives and it had brass bolsters and ironwood handle slabs. I give most of my knives to family and friends at this point - at least until my work improves to a point where I'm comfortable with it. I'm nowhere near as proficient as most of you all are so I'm not casting my own bronze. But getting back on topic I think that you pick the materials based upon their compatibility and whether they work well in unison in the theme of the project. I use it to provide contrast sometimes or as a unifying element. Your customers will let you know what they want either by buying your knives or not buying them. While you may not see as much brass in the knife magazines as there once was I think that it still has it's place.
That being said I guess that I should quit using it for contrast on my knife liners. Don't need any green gunk!

In the '70s we were flooded with all kinds of curios from India and Pakistan. Everything was brass and rosewood. Everything was crude. most of it not even cleaned well after polishing. I've always wondered if that was what turned folks off to brass as an art metal?

Back