One Special knife with Special Meaning

backtines

One Special Knife with Special Meaning

My son Mikey is going to be 16 years old next month. The kid eats, sleeps and dreams bow hunting and love for the outdoors. He is currently involved with a few other kids putting a hunting web series together called Empire State Whitetails. What’s great about it is, they’re four young hunters who share the same passion and goal. Pursue to dominate the outdoors! They do all their own filming, editing and hunting. Please look them up on face book.

Saturday, Mikey met the newest member of the show. His name is Al. While talking to Mikey , Al noticed the Knife Mikey was wearing. After finding out where the knife came from and talking about some of the details of this knife , Al had to have one , especially knowing that it was hand made by the both of us. Needless to say by the end of the day they were calling me because Al wanted to purchase a knife from me that resembled Mikeys.

While Mikey and Al were talking, Al was telling Mikey How special his dad is. He was telling him that his dad is a super special person. He’s a fighter that has no quit . He told Mikey that he has had some bad luck over the last year or so. Al told Mikey that his only brother was unfortunately struck and killed by a truck last year. It was the most difficult time in his life, something that no one would ever imagine. Shortly after his brother was killed, his dad was diagnoced with cancer. In a short time the cancer spread to his esophagus and now in his lungs. He has had many operations and refuses to quit. He will not let the “Punk” cancer beat him. I believe at this point the cancer is in remission . This was some really hard news for MIkey to swallow all at once. I guess this was the first time Mikey met someone roughly his age that lost a brother and has a very ill dad. I guess his emotions started taking over.

That Saturday night I was out to dinner with my wife and some friends and I started receiving a pile of texts from Mikey. He wanted to know what my costs were in knife materials .I asked why ? He said that he wanted to make Al’s dad a knife. I told him that there will be no costs to make this knife. I can tell in the texts that something jumped into Mikeys mind and that he was on a mission .

Sunday morning while having my coffee, Mikey came into the kitchen ready,set ,go! He showed me a drawing of the knife he wanted to make . It had some writing on the main bevel he wanted to have etched . It said “ Never out of the fight “! He told me that those words represent Al’s Dad , a man of great power and courage to fight on through his bad luck . On the heel of the knife , he wants to put the birth date of Als brother so every time he wears that knife , his son will be right there with him. He also told me that he wanted to go turkey hunting with Al and his dad and hand deliver this knife to his father. I was touched listening to my sons plan.

When Mikey told Al that he was gonna do this for his father , you can only imagine the gratitude and emotions coming out of Al’s mouth. He was so touched that someone he just met that very same day would do something like this for him.
I finished my coffee, we went downstairs and began working on the most powerful , beautiful , encouraging, inspirational project that I had the privledge to work on with my son. Im so proud of him !

Ill Post the pics as we go through the process of making one on the most special knives ever . Enjoy.

Thats it for tonight Ill try to post some up tomorrow.

Last edited:
WOW!! You and your son have BIG hearts! I had tears in my eyes reading your post, I am glad you guys are doing this for him.

Mikey,
Its great to see what a fine young man you have raised and his passion for helping out some folks that he just meet.

How are you planning on doing the date and saying? I use a blue print Carbon paper and a old manual type-writer to do that and initials on the blade or spine for customers and just etch with the Personalizer.

Let me know if you want me to type those out and mail them to you?
Just P.M. me the details and your address.

fantastic gesture from Mikey!

keep us posted please...

Very awesome kid you have there. If he hasn't found it yet, you need to tell him to check out texasbowhunter.com. It is quite simply the best bowhunting forum on the planet. Very family friendly and open to anyone regardless of where they live.

Last edited:
Thanks you guys so much. Thank you Laurence and Faron for the nice offers its very appreciated , but Mikey picked out a set scales and I'm having Ernie G is making me up a stencil. Again thank you. Mikey's also is reading this stuff and he is very thankful to you guys.

DSC03802_zpsf6816b0e.jpg
[/URL]

DSC03803_zpsbf0258c2.jpg
[/URL]

DSC03804_zps70e254a6.jpg
[/URL]

I'm helping Mikey out with the grinding.
DSC03806_zps0d1f2d8a.jpg
[/URL]

Cleaning up some of the grind lines
DSC03807_zps27dffbe1.jpg
[/URL]

Cleaned up pretty nice
DSC03809_zpsd5ec97c8.jpg
[/URL]

Stamped in the logo, sorry I missed taking pictures
DSC03810_zpsc44ed18d.jpg
[/URL]

I'll try to get some more tomorrow and keep you posted.

Last edited:
Doing something from the heart brings wellness in so many ways. From what I've seen on this forum, your son probably hasn't had look far for a good role model.

Thanks you guys so much. Thank you Laurence and Faron for the nice offers its very appreciated , but Mikey picked out a set scales and I'm having Ernie G is making me up a stencil. Again thank you. Mikey's also is reading this stuff and he is very thankful to you guys.

Mikey & Mikey,
Anytime my friends! You two enjoy this build together!

WOW way to go the extra 110% Mikey u and your son are awesome people for doing that for Al and his father. keep up the great work and dont forget to throw us dogs and bone and let us see that special knife.

Many thanks from Mikey and myself, but Mikey is the one doing all the work, I'm just lending a helping hand along the way.. Thank you!
Just finished up for the night and here are a few more pics.. So far so good.

DSC03813_zps2a09ecb7.jpg
[/URL]

DSC03812_zpsb517a641.jpg
[/URL

DSC03817_zps1aee02d7.jpg
[/URL]

Here's Mikey doing a little file work.
DSC03818_zpsbc4b117d.jpg
[/URL]

DSC03819_zpsb8884776.jpg
[/URL]

He's going through all the grits to shine up his work
DSC03820_zps8f51b9a6.jpg
[/URL]

It came out pretty nice
DSC03844_zpsb790972e.jpg
[/URL]

I hope to get some more done with him tomorrow.

Last edited:
Back