WIP first knife

Justin Presson

It seems like a long time ago when I got my steel shipment and drew out the knife and put the plan on steel. As I'm getting closer to finishing my first knife I thought I would share some pictures of where I'm at to date and how I got there.
View attachment 47064
uploadfromtaptalk1395065256991.jpg
Hacking it out uploadfromtaptalk1395065305609.jpg
Got it close to final profile
uploadfromtaptalk1395065377060.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1395065424840.jpg cutting in the bevels with file guide
uploadfromtaptalk1395065474395.jpg sanded pre heat treat
uploadfromtaptalk1395065510999.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1395065549736.jpg drilling out the handles at work with a wonky drill press :D
Putting on the finishing sanding before I attach the scales. Thanks to Nick Wheelers you tube video on hand sanding. That helped a ton! uploadfromtaptalk1395065686826.jpg
Moment of truth first glue up I did yesterday. uploadfromtaptalk1395065735493.jpg
And where I'm at right now.
uploadfromtaptalk1395065784966.jpg

Thanks for looking. This week I plan to start shaping the handle and get this baby done!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The end is in sight now. Its looking good. Thats a neat file guide you made.

Yes it is I feel like I can see the finish line. It has been a lot of information to try and absorb and apply on this first knife. The jig I built is based off Aaron Gough's custom knives you tube video. He has some good videos for beginners like me.

I drew up a bit of a plan for shaping the handles. I also cut off the corbys flush and started a little shaping last night.
uploadfromtaptalk1395159724644.jpg

After work started on the handle more.
I shaved the rest of the wood down to the tanguploadfromtaptalk1395192608382.jpg
Laid out some lines to file down to.
uploadfromtaptalk1395192657412.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395192674306.jpg
After I filled I hand sanded to smooth it out.
uploadfromtaptalk1395192726601.jpg
Decided to take some 60 grit and do the shoe shine method to round the top. That worked really well and did a good job. uploadfromtaptalk1395192806260.jpg
Went over it with some 120.
uploadfromtaptalk1395192957661.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1395192979773.jpg
That's as far as I got today before I had to go pick up the boy.
Any advice is welcome.

I finished getting the handle to the profile I wanted. I used a half round file to get my finger grove cut in and then smoothed it out with some sand paper. It feels very good in my hand.
uploadfromtaptalk1395320850022.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395320872601.jpguploadfromtaptalk1395320905800.jpg

Today after work I'm going to start sanding with finer grits and stop by the gun store here in town and get some truoil. Any tips on using the truoil? I have no experience with it.

Looks good, like your filing jig also. Have you done any leatherwork before? Next is sheath time.

Looks good, like your filing jig also. Have you done any leatherwork before? Next is sheath time.

No I have not done any leatherwork. A guy I work with started making some leather holsters and said I could use his leather tools. I will need to buy some leather soon.

After work today I did some more sanding and got the handle prepped for oil.
I whipped it down with a tack cloth.
uploadfromtaptalk1395359032449.jpg
Then I rubbed the truoil in with my finger. It sure don't take much of that stuff! I didn't realize it would get tacky so fast. Seems like good stuff.
uploadfromtaptalk1395359164728.jpg
After one coat. Really warmed the wood up i'm diggin the color. Going to let it set until morning then apply another coat.
uploadfromtaptalk1395359289658.jpg

You are doing one heck of a job on your first knife. The only problem I see so far is that you are not leaving yourself much room for improvement on the next one!:3: I'm with Mikey D, I can't wait to see it all done.

Bill

You are doing one heck of a job on your first knife. The only problem I see so far is that you are not leaving yourself much room for improvement on the next one!:3: I'm with Mikey D, I can't wait to see it all done.

Bill

Thanks Bill! Trust me there are several spots to improve on :D I plan on showing the bad spots to so I can get feed back but overall I'm pleased I'm getting close to that finish line!!

I do have a question if anyone could answer. What is the best way to put the final edge on this knife, remember I only have hand tools no belt grinder. I have a Lansky system but I'm thinking that would take forever? My other option is a friend of mine works for a knife business down town that sharpens restaurant knives.
Thoughts?

I did my first few with a Lansky to get the initial bevel set and then finished on a paper wheel on a buffer. It took a little while with the Lansky, but it wasn't that bad. I can't seem to rig up anything to keep the Lansky clamps from scratching the blade though. Regardless of what I came up with, I always seem to get scratches, so I don't use it anymore. I'm using a KMG now. Just go ahead and get ready, because you will be buying a grinder soon. I can tell you have the bug!

I did my first few with a Lansky to get the initial bevel set and then finished on a paper wheel on a buffer. It took a little while with the Lansky, but it wasn't that bad. I can't seem to rig up anything to keep the Lansky clamps from scratching the blade though. Regardless of what I came up with, I always seem to get scratches, so I don't use it anymore. I'm using a KMG now. Just go ahead and get ready, because you will be buying a grinder soon. I can tell you have the bug!

Thanks blancefitz, I did use my lansky and it worked out pretty good.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

It beats the heck out of a drug or alcohol addiction. It's a good addiction. I've been bit by it also.

Back