First Knife Posted for a new knife maker

arock

Hi everybody I'm new to Knife making and would like feedback what can I do better I understand quality comes with time but I am very open to feedback. This is 3/16" 1084 multi purpose camp/ utility knife with g-10 scales and a kydex sheath let me know what you think and please if you see anything that would be helpful in the future for me tell me! I

camp knife 1C.jpgcamp knife 1A.jpgcamp knife 1G.jpg

Arock,

Start drawing knives. Then try to match the steel to your drawing. Look around the web, find knives you like, print hem, then draw them. Finally make them.

The more you make the better they will get.

Remember a thin blade is generally a better cutting one. Hide this one away and after 20 knives take it out and compare it to number 20. Check out the work in process section on this forum and the ABS YouTube channel for info.

Welcome to a world in which you will find something new everyday!

I think it looks very good, design and details are very important to me, like George said "Start drawing knives" if you haven't already.

At the bottom of the ricasso where the blade notch, handle front edge, and plunge all come together seem to be in conflict.

A very good knife and great start.

TacticallySharp - thank you for the tips. I did check out the work in progress section thanks for that heads up also I will be spending a lot of time checking out those posts.

Mark- thanks for the feedback I do need to get more into my drawings after looking at the work in progress section I did start with a pattern but not that detailed. As far as the blade notch, handle front edge a plunge line what would you have done different? I kinda liked it but like I said I'm new and would like tips. Thanks again for your feedback and support

I'm by no means an expert or authority just my opinion.

I would look at knives you like and study the area where the blade ,plunge, guard and handle come together i consider this the ricasso but could be wrong with applying that term. This is the most important part of knife design to me.

The golden ratio or rectangle is also a good design aid.

Made a few changes, again just my opinion.

Knife.jpg

Mark- I like it. Thank you, like I say any pointers people have I gladly accept and thank you for taking time to draw up to help me out I appreciate it. Knife makers like you really make this forum fun because you have very well established knife makers to beginners helping each other out. Thanks again

Thanks arock, you never know how someone is going to take suggestions even if they ask, hopefully others will chime in.

Back