Wish all belts were as long lasting as this one.

Frank Niro

KNIFE MAKER
Well I got three of those R999B 36 grit 2X72 belts from Canadian Knifemaker Supply several months ago. I reordered today. These are fantastic that work just like we wish the all would. I even use them to thin down mammoth ivory since they cut clean and cool and do a darn good job of keeping the grinding flat. I don't have a surface grinder so they are my go to belts to get bolster and blade steel close to the thickness I want. They do a super job of that. I understand that so far he is the only supplier in Canada that sells them but cannot ship out of the country. Frank

I always appreciate feedback on belts. What company makes these? That sounds like a Hermes #. I'll get a few the next time I order if I can find em. Thanks Mr. Frank.

Norton R999B - only available in 24g or 36 so far. They must be available in the US somewhere. Frank's review is typical of what I'm hearing about them. No, they aren't magic and won't revolutionize anything, but I'm sure glad my Norton Rep found them for me. Thanks Blake. :)

Rob!

Norton R999B - only available in 24g or 36 so far. They must be available in the US somewhere. Frank's review is typical of what I'm hearing about them. No, they aren't magic and won't revolutionize anything, but I'm sure glad my Norton Rep found them for me. Thanks Blake. :)

Rob!

I tried to get Scott at ww.trugrit.com to carry these after he gave me the sample of the 24 & 36grit.. They beat every other belt I have tried in longevity in those two grits but they are pricey and Scott said he had to many other belts. I think you guys with surface grinders would love 'em!

The 999 is a awesome belt and I am working now with a local Norton rep to not only get these. But to get a site set up where we (knifemakers) can order direct.

My rep dropped off some of these to me and there amazing!! Your right on about the surface grinder. They are a dream at 36G the 24 seemed to not cut as well and or as long on the SG. Yet your results may vary. They are designed to work west cutting hardened steel so if you grind soft. These may not be the belt for you..

In my testing. I found they need to be dressed when used on soft steel. Not unlike other belts. But on hardened stainless as well as carbon. These belts work great if your a bit heavy handed in your grinding technique.. Again your results may vary.

OK, So, as soon as I have more info. Ill let you guys know! The plan so far is to offer these as well as many of Nortons other belts in 2 or 3 sizes to start out. as well as a few other items that knife makers may want or need. cut off and grinding wheels. chop saw disks. sandpaper. etc. etc.

Stay tuned for more info.

God Bless
Randy

OK so I hear all the praises on these belts but, if these are made by Norton, why is this belt only available in Canada?

I mean I live about as far from Canada you can get and still stay in the states, unless you go all the way to Keys, but we buy Norton all the time.

So why is the R999B - only available in 24g or 36, why are they not available in the states??

This is just my speculation as I don't work for Norton. Its called no distributor that wants to buy a TON of belts and sell those belts in ones and 10 batches to us small knife makers.I am sure that large industry companies that buy direct have them.

Most of us don't realize how small the custom knife making industry is compared to large industry.

They come from the States to Canada. The suppliers just aren't stocking them. (yet)

When a supplier adds a new line of belts, they have to buy a large quantity of each grit and each size to get their dealer discount. In these tough times, committing a large chunk of cash to a new product line is a very big decision. Before getting them, I sent out some samples to customers asking for feedback. The worst feedback was "about the same as BLAZE". Most makers liked them better, but wished there were more grits. Since they are cheaper than BLAZE, I bit the bullet. I know Trugrit sent out some samples. Maybe their feedback was not as good.

Edited to add: The decision to add that new line does not mean selling more belts. In this case, it only cuts into sales of more expensive products. Again, a tough business decision.

Rob!

Last edited:
Rob,
From talking with Scott at Tru-Grit after I used the test belts he sent me of the 999 Your last statement in your last post was the drift I heard from him about stocking another belt.

Thanks for posting your results Frank. Like Darrin, I am always looking for feedback on belts. I'll have to order some to try.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#belt-sander-belts/=rl7hmh

I don't know how any of these would compare. There is a good variety of grits. McMaster Carr rarely list the brand/mfg but they always use top MFGs and I've learned to trust what they supply. They are not always cheapest $$ and I don't know enough about belts to know how their prices look. Check it out for yourself.

They have a terrific phone staff and can probably give details that they don't show on the web-site.

Smallshop,
While Mcmaster is great for many tools, when you buy belts you always want to know what brand & model, you are buying.

I heard of these belts from Frank Niro here on KDs and asked Scott to get some samples to try. I was the only tester as far as I know and it takes a large order for him to get the discount.

I will mention this to him next time we talk and if any of you guys want to see these more available? Call Scott at www.trugrit.com and tell him you would be a buyer of the black 999 belts from Norton.

You guys that run surface grinders will love those belts.

Laurence,

I think mcmaster would probably tell you if you called. I bought cnc toolholders from them once. The price was low so I was suspicious. I called them and they were Lyndex holders which are good holders. I don't know why they don't list their product makers?

Laurence,

I think mcmaster would probably tell you if you called. I bought cnc toolholders from them once. The price was low so I was suspicious. I called them and they were Lyndex holders which are good holders. I don't know why they don't list their product makers?

You can usually do better in price and selection by buying from one of the many knife supply houses that cater to us. Also you are supporting small business. When I need measuring interments or machine set up stuff I do buy from McMaster, when I want belts & handle pins etc, I buy from Bossdog here or tru-grit.

You can usually do better in price and selection by buying from one of the many knife supply houses that cater to us. Also you are supporting small business. When I need measuring interments or machine set up stuff I do buy from McMaster, when I want belts & handle pins etc, I buy from Bossdog here or tru-grit.

This board needs a "LIKE" button! :thumbup1:

Back