OKCA 2014 knives {Whatcha bringin}

Benr.t

I figured I would start a thread to show knives as I finish them for the upcoming OKCA show on April 12-13th.
Anyone else is welcome to show what they are bringing in this thread as well.

Here is the first one I have finished up. A smallish fighter with a big attitude. I gave this one a larger than my normal handle, for some extra grip options and more power. It is 1075 with a polished hamon and black linen micarta scales. It is .265" thick at the ricasso and it tapers very thin in both directions (the tang down to about .030"). The OAL is 10.25" with a 5.125" blade, tip to handle. The clip is sharpened.

Thanks guys!

Here is a hunter that I have been meaning to finish out for months, and I figured it would be a good one to have on my table.
I did a full rounded spine and ricasso/choil on this one, a first for me. I keep seeing the awesome rounded spines on John Doyle and Nick Wheelers awesome blades, and I thought I would give it a shot.

This one has a 1095 blade w/ a polished hamon. The Spacer is fluted and hammered mild steel with a nice brown finish, the pommel is the same. The handle is a very nice piece of stag. OAL is 9 5/8", and the blade is about 5".
I am pretty pleased with this one, let me know what you all think.

largest knife show west of the Mississippi :biggrin: all things sharp and pointy to be had. if I remember right last year we had 200 tables... this year they are sold out at 220?? three days long

Erik

I welded a stub tang that is about an inch long to it. I is epoxied in place.
The stub tang has little grooves in it, so it is locked in nice and solid.

No problem Jason!
Hopefully I will have more to post up in a few days.
My dad was over yesterday and snapped a pic of me throwing some sparks on some knives for the show.

Ben,

I do like seeing the hunter you made! Pretty sure we will have time to visit one of the days of the show. Hoping to have my grinder up and running by this weekend. Its been out of order since April of last year. The newest thing I have so far is the Spoontune tomahawk. Now with you calling your tomahawks old school not sure what to call mine. I'll have table H O 8. I won't have to sneak in this year.

IMG_9075.JPG

Last edited:
Can't wait to see what you got in the works Ray.
You are always welcome in my shop if you need to use a grinder, mill, or anything else. I am full time as of Tuesday, so I am pretty much in the shop everyday.

Can't wait to see what you got in the works Ray.
You are always welcome in my shop if you need to use a grinder, mill, or anything else. I am full time as of Tuesday, so I am pretty much in the shop everyday.

Ben, Thanks for the invite! That 120 mile drive is one I don't care to make more than a couple times a year. Congratulations on going full time. Just a word of caution, don't forget about your family. Those kids grow up mighty fast. They and your wife won't appreciate you being in the shop all the time. Make time for them......

They are the reason I am doing this Ray. I love getting to spend my mornings and lunches with them. They even give me a hand sometimes. : )

Still love that even older school spontoon. :3: Can't wait to check it out at the show. I still need to get one of your blades, maybe I will snag that one when my wife isn't looking. :shush:

Ben that's just great your making the jump to full time. I know it will be a lot of work, but you have an eye for blades that will be great to see more of. Now all we need to do is have a shop raising party and expand yours to say... 40 X 40 :biggrin: I know we can do it HA!

Erik

Back