Peening Anvil

cnccutter

So every since I got hooked on folders, I have struggled with getting the pins peened "just right". I decided to try and make an anvil that was domed a bit so i didn't fight the bolsters or scales getting in the way or me dinging them up trying the sneak the pin as close to the edge as I could.

My solution was a 2 1/2" ball bearing from eBay and a chunk of bronze I had shoved under the lath.

Man does it work great! weighing in at just over 10 pounds there's no jumping around the bench and no sharp corners to bite me.

next one is going to be a 3 1/2" bearing and a 15# chunk of bronze I have.:biggrin:

Erik

Attachments

• peening anvil.jpg
    peening anvil.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 155
Good idea. A trailer hitch ball might not be as pretty but should work also and could be clamped in a vise or put into a hardy hole or just bolted down if desired.

Wow ! What a cool idea ! I am going to have to make myself one now too. That would be super useful and far better than using my flat anvil face and a small hammer. Thanks for the inspiration on the tool !

Great idea,I did something similar,I got a ball 3 inch ball valve out of the scrap metal bin up at work and took the valve apart and removed the ball,it's a ball with a hole in it for your fluids to flow through,it's nice hard pollished steel with opposing flat sides.I just put it in my vise and it works like a charm and best of all it was free.

That is very slick. Interesting idea. This is the one I made, if you don't mind me putting it in your thread. The steel base is right about 8" square and the whole thing weighs around 32 pounds.

20130807_091535.jpg

Back