Damascus Libratum-WIP

lerman

Hello everyone,

just started working on this one today, didn't have alot of time lately to take wip pics of my knives, kind of missed it actually.

this beautiful damascus billet was made by Rudi Zirlin, a felow knife maker and a good friend of mine.

thanks for looking.

hi kayakersteve, it's a stainless file guide with a carbide face like the ones Bruce Bump selles, it's an amazing tool for plunge lines and shoulders for hiden tangs and even setting bolsters.

the bolster will be cast silver, the model is made out of jewlers wax

Great WIP, thanks for posting it but this casting silver guard really has my attention. Looking forward to seeing that.

Great WIP, thanks for posting it but this casting silver guard really has my attention. Looking forward to seeing that.

it's a method i learnd from a jeweler friend of mine, the foundry i work with can cast brass and any kind of gold as well,
it's not pictured but before i send it to the foundry i attach a small wax rod by melting it onto one of the flat areas, jewelers call it an "ungus" and it serves as a entrance for the silver to pour into and a mean of attching the wax model to the casting "tree", it's sended off once the model is cast, it's important to make the wax model a bit larger then the actual size you need as the surface usually have imperfections that need to be sended off.

Last edited:
ok, i got the casting back so work can resume.

heat treatment

this is the silver as it came back from the foundry

after some cleaning and milling

some awsome stabilized bog oak from mark

making the holes for the alignment pins

temporary alignment pins to transfer the marks to the wood

shaping the handle

i'll start with saying that i never thought i would ever do a knife with stone setting in it, it's just not my thing, but i do like to take the occasional design challenge by steping out of my comfort zone, this was definitely one of those occasions,

the bolster was sent to a stone setter named oleg leybman how did an amzing job, the stones are black zirconia
here are some pics:
PS i still don't have the bolster myself and only saw it in pics, hopefully tomorrow it will be here.

thanks for looking

Back