Maple Fighter

antigoth24

This was a knife I wasn't planning on making originally, but when I saw Aldo's hamon contest on Facebook I figured I'd give it a shot. I've only recently started playing with hamons and I only know enough now to know how much I still need to learn :D If my mind serves correctly this is (I believe) my fifth knife with an attempted hamon. This one if made from 1095 and was also a continued experiment in my interest in laminate handles. This one is a mix between curly maple, walnut, and leather; I also decided to do my take on a clam shell guard from antiqued copper. Tomorrow or later today I' start working on the sheath and I think it will incorporate some fold form copper. What do you think?

Specs:

Blade length: 9 1/2 inches
Blade width: 1 3/4 inches
Handle length: 6 inches
OAL: 15 1/2 inches
Steel: 1095

Thanks for looking.

Robert

Like your combinations of color and texture very rich and warm. To me metals that age add a life to the work.
How did you finish the blade?

I like it too.

To me, it does not look as big as you describe it to be - like a mirage. If I just saw the pictures I would guess it was 12-13 inches or so. You describe it as just short of 16 inches. That surprises me.

Thanks everyone and DeMo I haven't taken the official measurement on the handle yet so it could a little shorter then the number i put up, I'll double check tonight. But here is an update on the sheath. I decided to go with a horizontal carry and fold formed copper inlay. While the lighting in my shop is terrible for photos I think you see what I'm going for :)

Thanks Joel. I was able to finish the sheath today, I just wish photographing the handle wasn't such a bugger. It seems no matter what I do I can't get the luster to shine through. But anyway here she is I've decided to call it the Relic Fighter. What do you think?

Last edited:
Back