I've got to show you guys! First folder! 440C, 304 integral bolsters/frame, elk stag

Frank Hunter

This has been a long time coming - I have a real pile of screwed up parts to show for it and a new appreciation for those who are at the top of their game with folding knives. This one is functional and tight with nothing more wrong with it than any off the shelf folder I've ever bought, I am going to try to knock it out of the park with the next iteration, but for now...

2 1/4" .100 thick 440C sheepsfoot blade, internals are 440C as well, all heat treated in house.
Frames and bolsters on each side are one piece, 1/4" 304 stainless relieved for the elk antler scales.
All 1/8" pins and pivots, satin finish throughout.

This is my own design, similar to a Schrade 50A slightly upsized and with the lock bar pivot reinforced and upsized to common 1/8" stock. It's got a laundry list of things, including a slightly showing blade pivot pin on one side, that I'll be improving or avoiding with the next ones but I'm very, very happy to have finally nailed it. Now I can start asking the real questions about folders. Thanks for looking!

IMG_4526_zps939f7a3f.jpg

IMG_4529_zpsf87691fe.jpg

Way To Go FRANK!!!

great looking folder. now that the first one is under your belt your hooked for good. each one will get easier.

you need to get yourself a method of making them and then stick with it. when I first started I had a check list and followed it from start to finish. for me it made it easier so i didn't get ahead of my self.

don't worry about having screwed up parts, it's all a part of the learning. I have a plastic tub sitting on the back of the bench that has my screwed up parts. at first i put a lot in... now not so much :biggrin:

cant wait to see your next one.

Erik

Congrats Frank on that great stag lockback - I know how nice it is to get that first one put together- I have a "folder scrap pile" too.:biggrin:

Frank,
Ain't it fun?
Your on the right track,keep going,you'll get better and better.
Don't forget to share them with us.
Welcome to the madness!

for your first try that is the best damn looking knife ive ever seen. great job looks great and i love the elk scales you chose to put on it.

Agreed - very cool knife. An intregal on your first attempt. Awesome!

DeMo

I've made at least 250 fixed blades at this point - Having some experience in general really seems to have helped. One thing I specifically like about the folders this size is now I can utilize a lot smaller handle scale material.

I've made at least 250 fixed blades at this point - Having some experience in general really seems to have helped. One thing I specifically like about the folders this size is now I can utilize a lot smaller handle scale material.

Frank,
Yep! Maybe you can use up some of the scales that you botched making those 250 fixed blades? :biggrin:

Back