Wharny

rcknives

Almost finished with a wharncliffe that I am giving to my wife for her birthday. The big 40! This one is made out of O-1 and I decided to put a hollow instead of a flat grind on it. I just hope it wasn't a bad decision. The handle was a bit of a stumper. I started with wood and quickly tossed that idea out since she wood most likely use it in the kitchen (I hope) so I then went with micarta and couldn't find what color to use when I found this set of cactus scales I had set aside, instantly I knew those were it. I still need some hand sanding to bring it down to 1500 grit before buffing. I'll post more pics when I get her completed, just couldn't help myself.

P1015574.jpg P1015585.jpg

Looks good!
I am sure she will love it!
Its a bit hard to tell just looking at pictures but the grind doesn't look like its tall enough to make a good veggie cutter? It may wedge on carrots & onions etc.

She if she will keep it as a personal carry and make here one with a full flat grind to the top for cutting in the kitchen. I really do like the stabilized Cactus handle.
Very cool looking.

Looks good!
I am sure she will love it!
Its a bit hard to tell just looking at pictures but the grind doesn't look like its tall enough to make a good veggie cutter? It may wedge on carrots & onions etc.

She if she will keep it as a personal carry and make here one with a full flat grind to the top for cutting in the kitchen. I really do like the stabilized Cactus handle.
Very cool looking.

Good point! Looking at all the possibilities I overlooked the most important one of all, the function of the knife! Looks like its back to the drawing board. Thanks for the feedback Laurence.

Wharny Completed!

Finally finished up and in the nick of time. Leaving for a Long! weekend trip for the wife's birthday. I couldn't decide on the sheath for this little bad boy but I saw a previous post by a member with a slim style sheath made from Kydex so I decided that would fit the bill for this one. Thanks Lee! for the idea.

Attachments

• Wharny in cactus 2.jpg
    Wharny in cactus 2.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 41
  • Wharny in cactus.jpg
    Wharny in cactus.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 41
Nice all around! Might have to steal that sheath idea myself...

I actually can't take credit for that one Matt. I got that idea from Lee Lerman. He had a previous post and had one made out of Kydex so I stole his idea but made mine out of leather. I was kicking around some ideas for a sheath for this knife and ran across his post and that sealed the deal. It was a perfect match. So kudos to Lee for that idea. Sorry Lee I hope you don't mind.

great looking knife and sheath Robert, i'm glad you liked the sheath idea, thank you for giving me credit.

i love the sheath wish i had one for my warncliff. but the hollow grind will work well i my first knife was a O-1 warncliff and i hollow grind both sides and it is still a great knife and i love it the hollow grind really help with the cutting too.
but i have to say yours is nicer than mine. i love the handles and is i may ask is all warncliff rounded like your at the drop of the blade mine isnt round like that it just kinda drops at an angle.

Robert, Nice looking wharncliff. I like the hollow grind and handle allot. Please post more better shots. Wait until its a cloudy day and don't use a flash.

Back