Fixed and folding knives designing and other graphic services.

Ostap

Hi,

I would like to offer here my graphic services.

I know that a lot of knifemakers (espacially beginers or older guys) have problems with making a folding knife. Sometimes, even with great practical skills they can’t design a working folding knife with a good lock mechanism. From my experience which I gained during knife’s shows and band customer orders I know, that creating paper schemes takes a lot of time and could be totally uneffective.

So I’m here to help You with all kind of design’s problems :) Here are examples of my services:

1. Designing fixed knives for special custom order.
2. Designing folding knives for special custom order.
3. Transforming knife sketch to waterjet/laser cutting file format.
4. Design based on photos.
5. Folding knife lock mechanism designing.
6. Unusual orders.

1. Designing fixed knives for special custom order.

Just tell me what type of knife would You like and give me some specifications so I can do the rest.

Example (from my last order)

„Rat Camptramp blade shape is pretty cool and my favourite handle has Microtech Arbiter. I would like something similar to it. Big knife with 2 screws handle, lanyard hole and small skullcrusher”

Here’s final result:

And here are some custom fixed knives which are based on my own designs:

Knifemaker - Roman Blaha

Knifemaker – Janusz Bladowski

2. Designing folding knives for special custom order.

I can design a folding knife with any type of lock mechanism - according to Your specification.

Example

One of my customer wanted a tactical folding knife with thumbstud, liner lock and sheepfoot blade.
After exchanging e-mails with questions about details I’ve created this:

Other folding knife design:

3. Transforming knife sketch to waterjet/laser cutting file format.

Send me a photo of your sketch and I will transform it to a proper CAD file which will be ready to waterjet or laser cutting

Example

Step 1
Customer sends me a photo or scan of his knife sketch with dimensions.

Step 2
I am converting it to PDF file 1:1 and returning it to customer. He prints it on his home printer and checks is everything ok (shape, dimensions etc.)

Step 3
If everything is alright I will send a CAD file (.dxf or .dwg) ready to cut it on waterjet. Here is a result:

4. Design based on photos.

Do you want a knife from your favorite movie? It’s not a problem anymore. One of my friends, big fan of 90’ movies, send me this photo:

Based on it I’ve created this (with small changes on buttcup, according to his specifications):

5. Folding knife lock mechanism designing.

Have You got concept of folding knife, but You are not able to design working lock mechanism? Send me an exact dimensions of parts which You want to use in it (pivots, screws, thumbstud) and I will help. Moreover I will divide it into a few “easy to cut” parts and I will mark centers of all holes for drilling.

Example

Step 1
My friend, knifemaker KamilD had a concept of his first folding knife. He sent me photos of his sketch with dimensions and parts sizes.

Step 2
I was working on lock mechanism and after that I returned this file to him.

Step 3
Everything was alright so I sent to him ready to print PDF file1:1. He printed it on self-adhesive paper, stuck on steel and it was ready for cutting, grinding and drilling.

6. Unusual orders.

For example folding version of BM Nimravus Knife – especially for really unusual custom order.

Price depends on a type and an amount of services.

(for example simple sketches or creating files for waterjet are cheaper than designing folding knife with all dimensions :) )

I have never had a single unsatisfied customer.

I accept payment via PayPal or bank transfer.

Contact info:
email: ostaphel@gmail.com
PM - private message

Please, feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Do you only do the geometry or also tolerance blue prints for production? If there is a problem with geometry and or tolerances who is on the hook for scrap labor and material?

Also is the models included and if so what format?

Only simple geometry (needed to create folding knives in custom workshop with drilling machines and grinders) like:
-blade way rotation
-detent ball way
-pivot, stoppin and screws holes

Tight Tolerance depends on maker skills (for example lock face fit) As I wrote its a simple way to make custom knife (print, stick on steel and all drilling, grinding process), its not a CNC or any other machining process. If You can exactly grind and drill printed shapes - you will have less work with fitting elements like lock face.

I could exatly fit tolerances in my program, but I cant take responsibility if someone drill hole 3 mm away from marked center or grind too much material from lockface. When maker have exact shape on steel he will see where to leave more "meat" (for example in space around stoppin or lock face) and than could fit it with precision tools.

Last edited:
Back