First knife

I don't know if this the right spot. But here it goes I'm in the process of making my first fixed blade and have a question. My blade is 1/8 thick 14c28n and I'm going to start my flat grind bevel. What thickness should I leave the cutting edge for heat treat? Here's what I have so far.
ejabavuz.jpg
qebybeha.jpg

I leave .020 to .030" and finish them up after heat treat. Cool the blade after every pass once it's been heat treated.

I'll be doing the bevel by filing by hand then send off to be heat treated. By going to .020-.030 will it have a chance of warping or is that still plenty thick to stay straight?

that's thick enough that it shouldn't warp. I am sure you know this already but drill all holes before heat treat. cant wait to see it done good luck

The thickness of a dime works for me. As already noted drill all holes before heat treat. I also sand to 400 before HT, then start sanding at 120 after heat treat.

I leave about .015" on mine. I haven't had much warpage that couldn't be straitened out at that thickness. Just make sure you have the center line scribed down the blade then devide that number by 2 and the 2 outside scirbe lines on your blade should put you right about 0.15".

Back