Stag Jig

Jon Kelly

Here is my solution to holding a piece of Stag antler for most of the necessary operations involved in making a stag handled partial tang knife. The jig is constructed of stuff laying around the shop such as a piece of 2x4, aluminum, and the obligatory duct tape :)

I start by grinding the base of the antler to my satisfaction and positioning it on the blue tape perpendicular to the aluminum plate and scribe its position on the tape.

Next I put a layer of tape on the 2x4 to prevent the epoxy putty from permanently bonding with the wood backing. I then form a little bed of epoxy putty along the block where it will contact the stag.

I then place a bit of saran wrap over the epoxy and press the stag into the epoxy until the base of the stag is within the previously scribed lines on the blue tape.

Once dried I have a nice solid press formed fit which enables me to do all of my fit up from a stable point of reference.

Once I am finished with the jig I simply remove the tape, putty and all, and my jig is freed up for the next one.

An excellent solution, stag (or any uneven material) is notoriously difficult to drill. This jig should be able to help.

Back