Suggestions on burs for a foredom

C Craft

I am looking for suggestions on burs for a foredom when using it on mild steel up to and including knife steel. I have bought some in the past for use with a dremel and they were for the most part not worth bringing home. The only ones that seem to last were the tungsten carbide, not cheap but they do last.
So having said that are these any good? http://www.ottofrei.com/Tungsten-Vanadium-Six-Pack-Burs-Busch-Otto-Frei-Swiss-and-Otto-Frei-Fox/

I am anxious to get to started using my foredom however most of my burs now have a 1/4" shaft to use with an air/die-grinder. So they won't work with the small diameter stuff used with a foredom!

Any advice on burs for carving and working steel would be greatly appreciated! Size and type you most commonly use would be appreciated as well!

I think you will find that the speed control of the Foredom to be superior to the Dremel and will enable you to greatly prolong the life of the cheaper burrs. I use the Dremel accessories for things like that because they are handily available at the local hardware store. I do use some specialty polishing accessories for my silversmith work, and those I buy at specialty stores such as RioGrande, Sante Fe Jewelers Supply, etc. I see no reason the burrs you have linked to would not work.

After reviewing the sizes on the page I marked, www.ottofrei.com/Tungsten-Vanadium-Six-Pack-Burs-Busch-Otto-Frei-Swiss-and-Otto-Frei-Fox/

I am more confused than ever. I am not sure what the designation for the burrs means. When you click on the first box in the left hand list, it comes up to this page, http://www.ottofrei.com/Ball-Burs/
The first burr in the list is designated 118.176 0.50mm. How is that supposed to be read???? I want to be sure about what I am ordering but at present I am lost. Can anyone help to guide me in the right direction on the sizes!!!!

Last edited:
Looks like that is part number 118.176, diameter of burr is 0.50mm.

I'm interested to see what other people use as well...

I use some small diamond drum burs occasionally to open up holes a tiny bit in hardened steel. 1/2 MM IS VERY SMALL. I use my micro motor for diamond setting mostly some background removal if i am engraving. I like carbide also. For knifemaking i think a small flat flexible sanding disc is useful for getting in and around the flat area just before the plunge.They sell a special mandrel for these disc. They just snap on and off. Also some polishing task with a small brush charged with compound. I also use a Foredom flex shaft for heavier operations. Carving would probably be best accomplished with small round burs

Looks like that is part number 118.176, diameter of burr is 0.50mm.

I'm interested to see what other people use as well...

Now that would make more sense. I kind of figured maybe the last number was burr size but was unsure what the other denomination represented. I thought first it was shaft length but that didn't seem right either.

Wow, Doug I just looked at your site, http://www.engraver64.com/ Fantastic work, do you do that with a power engraver?

I wish I could see these burrs with my own eyes then I would no what I am looking for. Sometimes I hate rendering on line because what I think I am getting and what I end up with sometimes is totally different! LOL

Last edited:
How is that supposed to be read???? I want to be sure about what I am ordering but at present I am lost. Can anyone help to guide me in the right direction on the sizes!!!![/QUOTE said:
Don't you hate it when you need a manual to figure out a website listing!!! Real, is it that hard to make things clear.
Thanks for the post. I too am watching with interest to the responses.

I get me burrs off of ebay most of the time. I use 2-5 mm in size or 1/16" to 1/4" for jimping and hole enlargement in harden steel. After I order some I really like I then order more to stock up.

Depending on what you are doing there will be a short learning curve in finding carbide burrs that cut the way you like. Single cut, Double cut and then all of the shapes. I never order a large quantity on a first purchase.

I have been waiting for another maker to chime in that sent a PM too but, either Lawrence is real busy or he is ditching me!:what!::biggrin: He is kind of my "go to guy" as h is the one that recommended the foredom to me in the first place. My old Dremmel was not functioning properly. It sounded like it was losing power so I changed the brushes even though they didn't look all that bad. Seemed to help for a little while then it went back to slowing down or dragging when in use. I figured then it may be the armature was going bad so decided to opt for an upgrade while ordering Christmas presents for everyone else online!:happy:

Lawrence just sent you a email! O

EDITED:
Thanks Lawrence, OK so you weren't ditching me and I didn't send you an email! :biggrin: You posted to this while I was composing The email to send it. Can you help with the designation number on those burrs because I don't really have a clue what that means???? If not guess I will have to break down and call the company as I too do not like to purchase in bulk till I am sure of what I am getting!

OK I just took a trip to Ebay and there is a lot to select from there too. Hey I have another question Lawrence, can you use a 1/4 shaft in the foredom and if it will accept it is something like that, is a big burr like that too much pull on the motor????? I have been very busy around here lately and I haven't had any time yet too play with the new tool!:what!:

Last edited:
The 1/8" shaft is the biggest my hand piece will take. Some Burrs are cut to have a 1/8" shaft and larger cutting head so you are not limited to 1/8 diameter heads.

I took my wife to Las Vegas for a few days and didn't stop by here while we were having fun..

Foredom makes a hand piece that will go up to 1/4" but it is only available for the square shaft machine. There is a hand piece called the "Mastercarver #79220" that will fit on a Foredom shaft (or any other foredom styled machines) that will go up to 1/4" (maybe 5/16, but I didn't measure). There may be other hand pieces out there that go to 1/4" but I didn't search. Teddy

Foredom makes a hand piece that will go up to 1/4" but it is only available for the square shaft machine. There is a hand piece called the "Mastercarver #79220" that will fit on a Foredom shaft (or any other foredom styled machines) that will go up to 1/4" (maybe 5/16, but I didn't measure). There may be other hand pieces out there that go to 1/4" but I didn't search. Teddy

Teddy,
Thanks for posting that. So far the 1/8" shaft has been fine for all of the jobs I have used my Foredom for.

If I ever need to run 1/4" shafts I will look into that Mastercarver hand piece. I guess if I was doing a lot of wood carving that would be helpful.

I use mostly 3/32" bits and abrasives and a 'quick change" hand piece that only accepts 3/32" shafts. This hand piece (masterpiece) is useful for those bits and accessories that are bigger.The bits and accessories for ferrous metals seem to only come in larger sizes. As I work more in steel, I'll let you know what works for me. Teddy

Hey I hope that ain't an apology, cause I could take my wife to Vegas for a while I shore wouldn't be checking on any of you lugs either, :happy: party, party, party, "what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas" as they say!!!!!

You know guy sometimes it pays to read the instructions!!!!!!! I told you I have been very busy since I got this new toy and had not had no time top play, and while as card carrying American man that never needs the instructions. I often look them over!:what!:

Today while going to pick up my Grandson I ran into the son of great friend that I just lost to cancer.:31: I lost my friend back in October and I still catch myself looking for him every time I pass his house. We are still losing them from Vietnam today boys! I miss that man every day!

So my timing got off on picking up my Grandson from school got off and I left the house way early, so I grabbed the books for the new foredom, ran by the store picked up a coffee and spent the next 20 minutes reading the materials. I actually learned everything that you and Smitty just related to me and a little more about the new foredom!!! There really is something in the instructions worth looking at!

But guys I do appreciate all the effort to educate an old fool like me! Believe me it ain't easy, why when I grad E ated higgggggh school they gave me a diploma and tole me that the Army was looking for some help and I went out there an enlisted and ................................... Oh, well this is getting way off subject. So again THANKS TO ALL who have helped to contribute to this thread.

Last edited:
Back