Leather disc strop on a disc grinder?

JawJacker

Does anyone use a 9'' leather disc on a grinder to sharpen. I called a local leather dealer he will cut me some 12"x 12" shoulder pieces. I just installed a beveled disc and love it and want to try the leather idea.

I have used Neoprene for a padding to flatten blades on a 9" disc grinder, I don't see why your idea of having a power strop on a disc wouldn't work?

Give it a try and let us know?.

I have used Neoprene for a padding to flatten blades on a 9" disc grinder, I don't see why your idea of having a power strop on a disc wouldn't work?

Give it a try and let us know?.

I have been using that foam shelf lining for padding it works great and because its waffled it reduces the contact points on the sandpaper, makes for even faster changes. Ill be picking up the leather next week thanks.

I have a worn out abrasive disk that I put buffing compound on for final sharpening. I also have a piece of short shag carpet (cheap Wal-mart bath carpet) that I use for buffing. Buffing machines are very dangerous because just about the time you get the knife good and sharp the buffer will grab it out of your hand and throw it at you. When using the disk grinder you are buffing on the side and there is nothing to grab the blade. Be sure and buff edge down (away from direction of rotation).

Picked up the leather cut the disc used spray adhesive on it nice, currently soaking it in oil then I'll load it with compound see how I make out.photo 1 (1).jpg

Well the first attempt didnt turn out to well, I loaded the disc with green compound but it only took in certain areas. I dont think I had enough oil on the leather it didnt make paste and load up well at all so I scrapped it off and currently soaking the with more oil. I didnt attempt using it as the picture shows either.

What Timy said about just use compound.
Also keep you speeds very slow on the disk cause you could overheat the steel.

Revisited this with success. This time I used spray adhesive on the smooth side of the disc and oil on the rough side, then loaded it with compound then over that I added HD rubbing compound. I cant control the speed its a 1725 motor, but I DO have control over direction it spins. When I sharpen with it, it creates a paste that produces a razor edge, the blade does not get hot and I get a polished edge. IM HAPPY with it.It would be nice to be able to slow it down but I have learned how to keep the pressure light enough to keep the heat in check.

Back