NWG interchangeable tool rest

jkf96a

The NWG has a full sized tool arm bracket on the bottom for a tool rest. I never set mine up that way, as I've never ground using a tool rest. Finally as I'm doing a few larger blades, I decided some sort of tool rest would be helpful. Here's what I came up with. I used some 3/4" square tubing and 1/2" key stock. I threaded in a couple of 6/32 screws to keep it in the arm tight, and I used some of the same screws, countersunk, to attach some 3/16 plate to the key stock. The result is a tool rest setup that I can build multiple rests for and interchange like tool arms. Never seen one on the 'net, so I thought I'd tell you folks about it.

Here it is in video, because all that text doesn't make much sense without a picture.

[video=youtube_share;y8_pa9NCAKM]http://youtu.be/y8_pa9NCAKM[/video]

nice job on that Jason.
I like it.
with your permission, I'll put that into the plans next time I redraw them.

Go for it, Tracy. I haven' used mine a bunch yet, but I'm thinking it might be better on the bottom of the arm. I only have about 2.5" of platen above the tool rest. Not sure it's going to matter, but it's too soon to tell.

I have seen similar, but nothing exactly like that. The 3/4 square tube would be a very versatile platform.

Thanks for sharing!

I like the small square tube - and Yep, bottom of arm will be better. I've got my bolted direct to bottom, but still would like it moved down some. Good job!

Ken H>

Back