A Woodworker Builds a Belt Grinder

Thanks everybody for the comments. I especially appreciate critiques and suggestions.

Roger

You definitely have great skills to build something like that.

This is not a criticism but as a suggestion - you may want to have the top two screws holding the platen on up higher. It will give you more work room between the bottom screw hole and the top two screw holes. You do not want to drag a blade across those if it can be prevented.

Otherwise, I think your design and execution look brilliant.

DeMo

My plan for the platen includes 3/16" ceramic glass for a top surface. When it's in place, the wooden spacer that shows in the last picture will be removed.

Clever design and execution, Roger. I'm thinking with your ingenuity and creativity, that you'll be a smashing success as a knifemaker! I'll bet that grinder runs smoothly, and vibrations are dampened nicely by the wood.

Further developments

Thanks to all who have stopped by to view this little project. It has been very satisfying to put together. I think I've sharpened every knife and tool in the house with this thing - it's so quick and easy. I'm looking forward to making more knives.

I've added a stand so I can place it just about anywhere in the shop.
DSC05751_zpse72e5034.jpg

A couple of pieces of 3x4x1/4" angle make a toolrest I can mount high or low.
DSC05745_zpsf7fc58f1.jpg

DSC05749_zps270f6477.jpg

Ceramic glass platen is cemented into place.
DSC05746_zpsf12220ef.jpg

Dust collection is still a work in progress.
DSC05752_zps66dfd0f1.jpg

Roger,

Lookin Great! Just one little suggestion for your new baby. Build a little tree arm on the left side that you can hang your progression of belts on for a given project. For instance I drape over the center of the motor a 36, 60 & 120 if i am going to be grinding blades, or a 120, 600 grit and a 15 & 9 Micron if I am going to be doing sharpening work.

In addition I sit down to work at my machines/grinders and have hangers with empty packing tape cardboards along the side of the work bench next to me to hang my going to use belts on. My back stock of grinding belts. is on tape cardboards across the shop wall.

Get to work in there and make some grinding dust! Your shop is too clean!:biggrin:

Back