DeMo Knife Thread

It has been a while since I posted anything in this thread. Life has kept me too busy. However, I did complete a few knife projects. I was forced to re-handle the previous knife. The brass and red mallee knife handles shifted dramatically and cracked in several places. Pretty bad cracks that could have been fixed with super glue. I chose to re-handle. I went with Brazilian Cherry. Here are the new pictures for the old knife/sheath.

DSC04465.jpg

Here is a new knife and sheath that is the brother to the previous one posted. Both of these knives/sheaths will be headed to the Nebraska Sandhills. They will be gifts to the landowners where I have gone deer hunting that last 15 or so years. I hope they like them.

The new knife is 3/16 1095, lacewood and brass bolsters.

Enjoy!

DeMo

DSC04467.jpg

DSC04469.jpg

DSC04471.jpg

DSC04475.jpg

DSC04477.jpg

DSC04479.jpg

DSC04481.jpg

Here is the latest knife that came out of my shop. It is 1/8th inch 1095. 11 inches OAL. 5 inch handle/6 inch blade. Cocobolo, brass guard, brass/black liner, 1/16 brass pins.

I tried something different with the sheath. I intentionally left some of the leather undyed/ and on the rough side. I do not like it. I like the knife - just not the unfinished part of the sheath. You can decide on your own.

My 10 year old son told me the stamping looks like a group of angels holding hands. Ya, that's the look I was going for . . .

I will say that the light tent that I built has certainly helped me take better quality pictures.

Enjoy!

DeMo

DSC04496.jpg

DSC04498.jpg

DSC04501.jpg

DSC04503.jpg

DSC04505.jpg

DSC04508.jpg

DSC04511.jpg

DSC04509.jpg

Here is some stuff that I am currently working on right now.

My first full hidden tang. I will be tapping the end in the near future. It will have an elk tine handle.

DSC04533.jpg

A few hidden tang hunters. I will experiment with the handles a little bit.

DSC04534.jpg

A couple smaller hidden tang hunters/capers/skinners.

DSC04535.jpg

A couple full tang hunters. These will both have front/rear bolsters and elk handles. A little pay back to those that have been nice to me.

DSC04536.jpg

My first dagger. Rough ground. This will have a buffalo handle. Probably a front bolster. Again, I will experiment a little bit.

DSC04537.jpg

A couple of hatchets. My first. And again, I will be experimenting a little bit for the handles.

DSC04538.jpg

If you have any suggestions/comments/critiques - just post them up. I would like to read them as I move forward into the unknown.

DeMo

I forgot to mention. A few of the knives are 1080 and I will be attempting my first hamon or possibly two. Wish me luck.

DeMo

Here is the latest creation. It is a first for me. It is made from 440C. I have used 1080 and 1095. This is the first try at stainless.

A big shout out to mike miller for heat treating this for me. He did a great job and it turned out very well. It was much easier to sharpen than 1080 or 1095. Maybe I just got lucky.

Nonetheless, this knife has a maple handle, brass guard, brass pins, and a blue/brass mosaic pin placed in the butt of the knife. Unfortunately, I did not take a very good picture of it.

Take a look and let me know what you think.

DeMo

DSC04540.jpg

DSC04541.jpg

DSC04543.jpg

DSC04545.jpg

DSC04546.jpg

DSC04547.jpg

DSC04549.jpg

DSC04550.jpg

Great little SS knife Dennis- and sheath looks great too- I really like the style of your knives and the clean work.

Ausbrooks - Thank you for your comments.

Here is an interesting story. I got the 440c from a deceased makers estate. I bought a big box of all sorts of stuff from his daughter. I found a small piece of 440c in the box with a crude blade outline drawn on it. I pretty much used his drawing with this blade. I build the knife around it. Probably not exactly what the deceased maker was thinking but I tried my best.

DeMo

Here is the latest creation. It is a prototype of several knives that will be made. polarbearforge sold some 1080 throwing knife blanks a few months ago. I purchased 12 of them. I wish I would have purchased a few more. Nonetheless, this is a knife that I made from that blank. It looks a bit different from the original blank.

Blade is right at 5 inches and is made from 1080. Handle the same length. Stabilized maple with blue/white spacer. Brass pins and guard.

I think that the sheath turned out pretty good. Dark brown and saddle tan. I used a couple new stamps.

I'm pretty happy with the results. A couple of changes and I will make a few more of this type of knife.

DeMo

DSC04571.jpg

DSC04564.jpg

DSC04563.jpg

DSC04562.jpg

DSC04561.jpg

DSC04557.jpg

DSC04566.jpg

DSC04567.jpg

Here is a new knife that I just finished. Made from 1080. In fact, it is another knife from polarbearforge throwing knife blanks. Blade is right at 4 inches. Handle is elk tine, black G10 spacers, and brass.

Sheath is hand tooled and colored black and tan.

Enjoy!

DeMo

DSC04572.jpg

DSC04576.jpg

DSC04578.jpg

DSC04580.jpg

DSC04585.jpg

DSC04588.jpg

DSC04597.jpg

DSC04592.jpg

It has been about one month and I have been busy on this set of knives. It is my first tandem set. The long knife is around 10 inches. The short knife is around 8 inches.

Both are made from 1080. Again, polarbearforge throwing knife blank knives. Handles are curly maple from John Doyle, Orange G10 and rust colored liners, a swedge on top of the blade that is non-sharpened, brass guards and pins. Sheath is dark brown and saddle tan.

These knives will be auctioned/raffled for a charity call "Jerky for the troops". Basically a bunch of Nebraska hunters donate venison that is processed into jerky and sent overseas to our troops. It is a small grassroots group that has sent several tons of jerky to our troops in the Middle East and Europe.

I donated a knife last year. This is my second go round. I hope it does well, all proceeds will go towards postage.

DeMo

DSC04653.jpg

DSC04657.jpg

DSC04656.jpg

DSC04658.jpg

DSC04660.jpg

DSC04661.jpg

DSC04662.jpg

DSC04663.jpg

DSC04666.jpg

Last edited:
Those are beautys. And the tandem should be just the ticket to make a hunter happy to gut and skin a trophy this year.

Nice looking knives and I really do like the sheaths. Maybe one day I will be able to make them.

Back