DeMo Knife Thread

I got three more ready for final polish and sharpening.

Red/white/black with black sheath.
Blue/white/green with saddle tan sheath.
Green/yellow/blue with tan sheath.

DeMo

DSC03883.jpgDSC03884.jpgDSC03885.jpgDSC03886.jpgDSC03887.jpgDSC03888.jpg

The latest one is finished. Black G10, SS bolsters and pin, Antique black sheath with black edges.

Only one more to go . .

DeMo

DSC03929.jpgDSC03930.jpg

Here is the latest creation. It is a spinoff of the new year resolution knives. I cut 20 blanks and only used 18 on the nieces/nephews. I had two more blanks to use up.

This one is brass and walnut. Brass pins. I rounded the butt (something a little bit different.).

Sheath is dark brown/antique light brown.

DSC03990.jpgDSC03991.jpgDSC03992.jpgDSC03993.jpgDSC03995.jpgDSC03994.jpgDSC03996.jpgDSC03997.jpg

Last one of the 20 little hunters that I have been posting up. This one is my first double bolster. It was a booger to complete. I ruined the first set of scales while rough handle shaping and had to strip them off and start anew.

This one has oak burl, 3/32 brass pins and a 1/4 mosaic pin of blue star/white background.

Enjoy.
DSC04045.jpgDSC04050.jpgDSC04052.jpgDSC04044.jpg

This is a knife that I built for a fund raiser. The project is called “Jerky for the troops”. It is a grass roots effort started here in Nebraska. The concept is to have Nebraska deer hunters donate deer meat that is processed into jerky. The jerky is then sent to our troops – where ever located. To date, thousands of pounds have been sent in the last 5 years or so.

I did a build along on the Nebraska Outdoor Forum of this knife. Check it out if you are interested.

http://nebraskaoutdoors.net/forum/vi...hp?f=8&t=55299

The knife turned out to be about 11 inches overall. The blade is 5 inches. The handle is about 6 inches. It is little long because of the angle of the deer crown.

The blade is 1095, brass fittings and pins, red corian, black and white G-10 and walnut.

The theme was a Nebraska knife. These are the team colors . . . The deer crown is from a Nebraska deer shed. The walnut was harvested here in Nebraska.

I would like to give some credit to Guillaume Côté. He is a knife builder from Canada. Here is his website. His Scagel inspired knives gave me the inspiration for this knife. So thank you to Cote. He posts on KD from time to time.

https://www.coteknives.ca/

Hope you all like the knife and wish it well at the raffle. I hope it brings in some well needed funds for the cause.

DeMo

I got some help in designing this knife. It is somewhat similar to a "sharpfinger". It is only about 6 inches long. Made from 1/8 inch 1095. English walnut scales with brass pins. Antique light brown sheath with dark brown edging. Red paracord.

I will probably make a few more of these. I'm not completely sold on the new pattern, just yet. I made need to tweak it some.

DeMo

DSC04197.jpg

DSC04198.jpg

DSC04199.jpg

DSC04200.jpg

DSC04201.jpg

DSC04202.jpg

DSC04203.jpg

DSC04217.jpgDSC04220.jpgDSC04221.jpgDSC04222.jpg

I have had the hardest time posting pictures to this site. I will try one more time.

Here are a couple of smaller knives like the last post. These have orange/black/white G10. Black or Orange bolsters.

Here is the best story of all. The one with black bolsters was taken deer hunting on the day it arrived at the recipient's home. Long story made short - SCORE!

He has a new lucky knife. I got a picture sent to me on my phone of the knife getting a little bloody. It just tickles me to see them getting used for their intended purpose.

DeMo

DSC04245.jpgDSC04239.jpgDSC04243.jpg

This knife comes with a story.
My buddy and his 10 year old son are involved.

Two years ago, my buddy’s son harvested his first deer.Not the biggest deer – just his firstbuck.On one side it was broken off justabove the skull plate.It had a horn ofabout 2 inches.
On the other side was a typical two (2) point.Again, not very big.

At deer season time – two years ago his son told me hisstory and showed me his 2 x 0 rack.I toldhim to save his money on taxidermy and to have me make him a knife from thehorn.He politely declined.

Some time later, I gave his Dad a knife that I had made forhim.The son took notice and decided hewanted a knife and told his father as such.

I went to see them just before deer season this year.The son says he would like a knife made fromhis antler and he gave it to me.I toldhim I would do my best but he needed to tell me what he wanted to see in afinished knife.He told me his schoolcolors (Purple and Gold).

I showed him the beginning piece of steel and he just lookedat me kind of funny.He said it did notlook like much of a knife.I told himthe magic needs to happen and it will look better when it is finished.

Off I went to apply the magic.Here is the finished knife.I gave it to the son the day afterChristmas.He told me I missed thedeadline by a day.Ouch!His smile was worth the effort.

Purple and gold – Go Battle Creek Braves!

DeMo

Last edited:
Nice story, hope the kid keeps on hunting and gets to use it on future hunts. He will always remember his first deer now.

Wayne

Nice story, hope the kid keeps on hunting and gets to use it on future hunts. He will always remember his first deer now.

Wayne

Wayne
I am pretty sure this kid will continue to hunt for the rest of his life. This year alone he harvested a couple of turkeys, a deer, an antelope and countless ducks and geese. When I grow up . . . I want to be just like him.
DeMo

Here is my latest knife. I would like to thank backtines for the inspiration to build this knife. I have admired his knives and thought I would try and build one that is similar.

This one is right at 10 inches long. 1095, red mallee (fruitwood) scales, brass bolsters (thank you Art Summers), leathers sheath is dark brown edges with antique tan center. A new little bit of lacing for the edge.

Hope you like it.

DeMo

That's a nice piece of craftsmanship there. Clean, flowing and subtly ornate. I like the whole idea of your thread. It shows the development of your skills and the evolution of your knives well. You've made some really beautiful tools DeMo. Your sheaths are works of art by themselves. Nice work bro!
On your pictures, I'd like to see some different angles so one can get a better idea of handle width, shape ect.
Thanks for sharing!

Good stuff DeMo. I like the lines of this knife quite a bit. Nice material choices too.

That light box sure made a world of difference! Pretty good photos.

Good stuff DeMo. I like the lines of this knife quite a bit. Nice material choices too.

That light box sure made a world of difference! Pretty good photos.

John

I was pretty happy with this knife. I am really happy with the light box. It cost less than my lunch and is already giving back some dividends. I

have a long ways to go - but, I'm getting there. I should arrive, eventually.

DeMo

Back