DeMo Knife Thread

I just went through this thread from beginning to end. The progression you have made from your first to now is amazing. It is very cool to see that.

I just went through this thread from beginning to end. The progression you have made from your first to now is amazing. It is very cool to see that.

Cojab

Thank you for taking the time to look at all that I have posted on KD. I did not start posting knives on here until around knife no. 50. I joined Knife dogs late October 2013. I wish I had joined when I started making knives. It would have eased me into a much faster learning curve. A lot of help was provided to me after I joined from some of the more seasoned makers.

FYI: Here is a couple shots of knife no. 1. I completed it mid-January 2012. I made quite a few prison shivs before I started making objects that look like knives. :biggrin:

DeMo

DSC02713_1.jpg

DSC02797_1.jpg

I haven't finished any knives lately. But, I have a few in the hopper. I will post a few up here pretty soon.

But, I did finish on a really nice sheath. I made it for a previous knife that I had made some time ago. The old sheath did not have an attachment to carry on your belt. The owner wanted to carry it on his belt. So, I made him a new sheath.

Old sheath.

DSC04946.jpg

DSC04947.jpg

New Sheath

DSC04948.jpg

DSC04949.jpg

For those that are really curious, I modified this sheath from a design made by Art Summers. He showed me how he made his sheaths and I changed it a little bit to suit my needs. A big thank you to Art for sharing his design/ideas.

I cut a window for the retention strap to fit through. It will hold the knife in place by way of the snap.

DSC04950.jpg

DSC04951.jpg

DSC04952.jpg

Here are a few pictures showing the deep stamping, duel colors, and straight hand stitching. It turned out really well.

DSC04953.jpg

DSC04954.jpg

DSC04955.jpg

Hope you like it.

DeMo

This summer has been crazy busy and I have not had a great deal of knife time. I did have time to finish up there three (3) brothers. 1095, brass bolsters, maple handles, brass thong tube, 550 paracord.

This was my first attempt at maple handles with the aqua-fortis and tru-oil application for coloring and finish. I really like it. POP!!! I have to thank John Doyle for the maple handle material. He told me it was nice and he did not disappoint. It just flashes color and striping and is hard to photograph. I did my best. If you ever need some maple - look up Mr. Doyle. Tell him DeMo sent you.

Take a look or two and post up your comments. I would love to read them.

DeMo

DSC04959.jpg

DSC04975.jpg

DSC04962.jpg

DSC04971.jpg

DSC04963.jpg

DSC04964.jpg

DSC04965.jpg

I really liked how this herringbone sheath turned out. Very nice color and consistent stamping throughout.

DSC04967.jpg

DSC04968.jpg

DSC04969.jpg

I forgot to mention the red G10 liners. Also, I made the beads (maple, brass and red G10). With the aqua-fortis application they got a little dark in places. It is not an easy process the end result is worth it.

DeMo

Those sheaths look good. Nice job on three matching knives. The handles look really nice. Having only used curly maple once I still have to say it's my favorite wood. Ty

Here is the latest knife/sheath that I completed. I need to thank Larry Franklin for the steel and Steven Janik for the stag. I was the lucky guy that got them as my secret Santa in the Christmas giveaways the last couple of years. Thank you fellas! Your donation went to a great cause. Jerky for the troops!

The knife is 10.5 inches long (6 inch blade and 4.5 handle). Made from .156 1095 in a short cowboy bowie model. Guard, spacers and pin is 416 stainless. Handle is stag. Old stag, very old stag. Janik told me at least 20 years old. Looks good. Butt cap is leopard wood. I like being able to see the end cut turn to side cut, to end cut, to side cut as you spin the knife. Finished with tru-oil. I love that stuff. I made the mosaic pin in the butt cap from brass and stainless with black epoxy holding it together.

The sheath is tan with black edging, highlights, and lacing. I tried to make it look a little bit "cowboy". It turned out to be one of my all-time favorites. It turned out really well and went together without any hiccups.

The best part about this knife is that it is the 4th knife that I have donated to a Nebraska grassroots organization called "Jerky for the Troops". It started in 2009 and has sent almost 6000 lbs. of jerky to our troops overseas. The Nebraska Bow Hunters Association has jerky processed and boxed up. The proceeds from the knife raffles helps with postage. Pretty cool thank you letters usually come back and it inspires me to make the next year's knife. So thank you again Larry and Steven. Your knife stuff went to a great cause.

Here are the pictures.

Enjoy!

DeMo

DSC04998.jpg

DSC04979.jpg

DSC04976.jpg

DSC04981.jpg

DSC04983.jpg

DSC04984.jpg

DSC04986.jpg

DSC04988.jpg

DSC04990.jpg

DSC04995.jpg

DSC04996.jpg

DSC05000.jpg

DSC05001.jpg

DSC05005.jpg

DSC05009.jpg

DSC05008.jpg

Last edited:
That is very nice, Thanks for sharing.
regards,
Steve

Mr. Janik

I'm glad you liked it.

I had to cut the point of the stag off to make it work and it left the stag a bit short. IE the leopard wood butt cap. That stag was a dream to work with. It did not stink as bad as some other stag I have used in the past. Perhaps being an antique has its advantages.

DeMo

Nice progress in short time. Sheaths are remarkable. You should try tapering the tang on your full tanged models.

As always an inspiring work of craftsmanship. The small bit of filing to match the groove of the stag caught my eye. No sharp edges makes for a comfortable knife. The leopard wood is a nice flair but not too much that it would make one not want to use the knife.

Walt - This knife came together really well. Some times you fight, and fight, and fight to get one finished. This was the opposite. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment.

DeMo

The Mosaic pins in the pommel was a nice touch. The knife and sheath look good. By the looks of it you should stop posting in the new makers forum.:)Ty

By the looks of it you should stop posting in the new makers forum.:)Ty

Ty - Thanks for stopping by and taking a look at my stuff. I would post elsewhere but my probation officer won't let me move. :lol: Seriously, who else would have me?? I do not know how to move the thread to another place so I just keep posting here. . .

DeMo

Back