DeMo Knife Thread

Just finished this one up. It is for my Aunt. She sent me a picture of a knife that she wanted made for her friend. His name is Tom as is on the sheath. I think she called it a Camillus #14. This is not an exact copy but it resembles that knife. Pretty big knife with 7 inch blade and just shy of 5 inch handle. Made from 1080 with a hamon line.

Handle is amber dyed jigged cow bone, brass guard and pins, mosaic pin and orange G10 liner. My first time using the jigged bone. I really like working with it. Bruce Bump has posted several knives with it and I had to give it a try. Thanks Bruce!

Sheath is saddle tan with black highlights and stitching. Star snap sets it off and somewhat matches the mosaic pin in the handle.

Hope you like it.

DeMo

DSC05011.jpg

DSC05012.jpg

DSC05015.jpg

DSC05016.jpg

DSC05017.jpg

DSC05018.jpg

DSC05020.jpg

DSC05021.jpg

DSC05023.jpg

DSC05025.jpg

DSC05027.jpg

DSC05028.jpg

Beautiful knife Demo, the sheath too. I use quite a bit of jigged bone myself, I like the amber colored stuff. that knife really looks nice with it.

Beautiful knife Demo, the sheath too. I use quite a bit of jigged bone myself, I like the amber colored stuff. that knife really looks nice with it.

Thank you for stopping by, Steve. I agree with you. I am going to use more of the jigged bone in the future. I really like working with it.
DeMo

Okay, we will try this again. I typed in the whole post and lost it. It said I had a problem with posting the photos from my host site. I won't bash them as it is a free service. Arghhhhhh!!!! said the pirate.

I just finished this knife up. It is a fighter style knife made from 1075. 12 inches long. 7 inch blade, 5 inch handle.

Guard is 416 SS. Throat is alternating 416 SS and brass. Fineal nut is 416 SS.

Handle is koa. Really nice koa from John Doyle. Actually it grows in Hawaii. My meager attempts at pictures do not do this handle any justice. Trust me, it is super nice with striping and coloring throughout the whole handle. It is just beautiful. Thank you John for the koa and the finishing tips. Worked out just fine!

I did put some filing on the spine. I etched the blade before final finishing. Most of the etch is removed, except for the bottom of the filing. It leaves a dark/light contrast.

I used Wickett & Craig leather for the first time. Very nice stuff. This sheath is Russet and Dark Brown. No stamping which is different for me. It does have a cross style concho attached and some edge lacing.

Hope you like it. Here are some pictures.

DeMo

PS: I need to keep working at taking better pictures. This task is very hard for me to get figured out. I'll keep practicing.

***Okay, I hate photobucket - today!!!!! I am having difficulty getting pictures loaded up. I may need to break this apart. I'm sorry.***

Last edited:
Looks great DeMo! I know what you mean about the koa. You just can't photograph it the way your eye sees it. That's a great piece and I can tell you did it justice.

I really like the shape of the the blade on that and the fact that you're making through tangs and multi part spacers. You are really pushing yourself. It's official.......you are no longer a newbie.

That bone one with the hamon looks good too. That's pretty good if that's your first attempt at hamon.

Well done, my friend!

J. Doyle - You are a good man, my friend. Thanks for feeding the addiction. I'll keep trying to get better.

Oh, and I am still a newbie. I have so much more to learn.

DeMo

That's a beautiful knife. The Koa and sheath make a good pair. Thank you for sharing your knives with us. I always look forward to your latest knife. Very unique. Ty

Thank you for sharing your knives with us. I always look forward to your latest knife.

Ty - You are most welcome. Thank you for stopping by and taking a look. I hold the same sentiment about many of the makers on this site. I just cannot wait to see what they make and post . . . next.
DeMo

Jake
Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment. From the looks of your first couple of knives, your adventure is just beginning and you have the fever. Just keep grinding and positing up your photos. In no time, you will be in the exact same position as myself.
DeMo

It has been a while since I posted up a new knife. Almost six months. Way too long. But, I have a few good excuses. I have been coaching basketball and it eats up all my free time. It has been cold in the garage and I'm too cheap to buy propane. I have been super busy with family stuff. Blah, blah, blah.

No excuses, here is a new knife. 1075 with a hamon. African Blackwood, 416 SS guard and pins, tooled black sheath.

Thank you John Doyle for the hardest African Blackwood known to mankind. Like sanding granite. Turned out nice but I sanded on it for six months. Gnarly hard stuff!!!

Wickett and Craig leather is the best I have ever used. This was drummed dyed black and it tools so well. If you have not tried it, you are missing out on some special stuff.

Hope you like the knife and sheath.

DeMo

DSC05090.jpg

DSC05099.jpg

DeMo... I was starting to think you had retired. That is a beautiful knife. Nice clean lines and a hamon. Who ever gets that one is lucky.

Last edited:
Ty
Not retired. Just too busy for knife making. Also, the garage was cold this winter. It is warming up and time to get started making a few more knives. Hopefully, it will be a good year.
Dennis

Back