Hello from Nebraska

Dennis Morland

KNIFE MAKER
I thought that I best introduce myself. I am a realtively new maker from Nebraska.

Unfortunately, I have a full time job outside of this hobby. I began making knives about three years ago following the death of my father. He owned a sawmill and I inherited about 1000 board feet of walnut, oak, cottonwood, cedar, etc., etc. etc. I try my best to put a piece of his wood in each knife that I produce.

I have made about 50 knives to date. I have truly enjoyed the learning process. From time to time, I have obtained a new piece of equipment, tool, technique, advice, etc. i still have limited knowledge about knifemaking but with each new blade, I still believe that I am getting better and better at this obsession. It is an obsession! You know what I'm talking about.

I followed a few people over to Knife Dogs from rimfirecentral. I look forward to learning more about knifemaking and such from the old dogs on this site.

I have to admit, I am a little bit in awe about the makers that post on here. They are really the best makers in the world. That just blows my mind.

Nevertheless, I hope I can add a little bit to the food dish.

DeMo

Glad to have you.
I lived in Freemont NE in '80/'81 and married a gal from near David City.

Bossdog

My Mom currently lives in Fremont. I attended college there from 1983 to 1987. Actually graduated with a degree and everything that entails (i.e. debt).

One of my best drinking buddies is from David City. I met him in college in Fremont.

I married a Nebraska gal, also! It has worked out pretty good so far (almost 20 years).

It is a very small world.

Thank you for creating this mecca for knife enthusiasts.

DeMo

welcome! its nice to have more people to converse with on here, the more people the more knowledge is exchanged!

Small world, indeed. BossDog & DeMo- It was interesting, hearing about your Nebraska presence. DeMo, was your Dad's sawmill anywhere near the Fremont area?
As for me I'm about 15 miles south of Fremont, or 5 miles west of Valley. My wife and I (and a dog, 2 cats and an old horse) have been here about 20 years, and this area about 35, but we are from Omaha originally.
I married a Nebraska gal, also! It has worked out pretty good so far (almost 20 years).
(DeMO)
My wife (Diane) and I are also thinking we might be in it for the long haul (going on 40 years together). 5 kids have all moved out, and we are up to 8 grandchildren so far!
I found knifemaking a few years back and, I too am very hooked. I have some health limitations (not to mentioned that my carcass has 61 years of some pretty hard miles on it)....so I find myself wishing I would have 'found' knifemaking about 20 years earlier- but I am finishing up my 5th and 6th knives. I have thoroughly enjoyed building them and some of the equipment I've put together. I have the stuff for a couple types of Damascus just waiting to be forged, and I think I'm seeing a power hammer project in my future.
Anyway- this forum (and lots of Youtube videos from knifemakers), has been a major blessing to me as I grow my skills and find new thrills in the art. If any of you ever get to my neck of the woods, I'd love to show you my little knife world, and would be glad to pop for dinner, lunch, whatever, just to compare notes a while.
Many thanks to all of the dogs,
Bill

I'll keep the Nebraska thread going and throw in my 2 cents...I attended college at Nebraska Wesleyan from 83-87 and my roommate was from Fremont :)

Seeing mentions here of Fremont and David City (one of our daughters was born in David City in '83). I keep watching for a knife show or hammer-in closer to me. What's the closest one to Nebraska that anyone knows of?
Bill

Back