Heat shield material???????

C Craft

My forge sits on a cart I made with a plywood top, and casters to be able to move it around, due to space problems in my shop. The other day I noticed that after a recent remodel job on the forge, the plywood gets warm after using the forge for a while.
This pic is one taken during the re-working of the forge as it doesn't show the final product where the wiring is all thermally protected, and a few other changes that were made!

Forge006.jpg

I really don't think the top is getting warm enough to be a problem however, to be on the safe side I would like to place something down on the top between the plywood and the forge. I have to cover a top about 24' X 30".

I would prefer it too be something solid so I don't have to worry about small items disappearing in any cracks or crevices by using pieces to cover the top.

So anyone got any suggestions, as too what i might use to act as a heat shield that is durable and low cost, and readily available????:les:

Last edited:
Personally I use concrete cap blocks but if you want something that is one piece you could try insulation board like High Temperature Tools and Refractory sells. I believe they have a whole sheet that is larger than than but it's going to be on the pricey side.

Doug

Some ceramic fiber wool/insulation or ceramic fiber board should be adequate.

I don't know what the price is now, but I bought a whole roll of Ceramic Fiber insulation for about $50 or $60 a few years ago. I just looked up a quick price for what I bought (1"x24"x24' roll, 6lb density if I recall...) and saw it one one site for about $90.

Depending on how much you need, or if you have other uses for it, it may be cheaper to buy a whole roll, or it may be cheaper to just get what you need.

Doug your post got me too thinking and I looked up something. Durock cement board, I wonder if it wouldn't do well to reflect the heat? I haven't been able to find out on the manufactures site as I guess you could say that would be an off-purpose to say the least!

It may not so much reflect the heat, but it will at least add one more "buffer" between your non-combustibles and your combustibles, effectively "blocking" the amount of heat that is typically transferred, or at the very least, delaying it.

look for something called "kiln shelf"
It's really common from pottery supply houses and works perfectly for that.

Sheet metal and some 1" stand offs, or see if you can find some of the insulation stuff they used to put behind stoves. There is also the redneck option of a car hood :)

I'm with Brad - if you've got more of that nice aluminum sheet, cut a piece to size, mount it with 1" spacers. The shiny aluminum will reflect the heat nicely, and the air space below will protect the plywood nicely.

Ken H>

I set my paint can forge on a 3/4" piece of granite I got from a kitchen cabinet guy. Its 18x28 and it only cost me $10. I have another piece under one of my small grinders. It doesn't burn and the surface beneath it stays cool.

I'm with Brad - if you've got more of that nice aluminum sheet, cut a piece to size, mount it with 1" spacers. The shiny aluminum will reflect the heat nicely, and the air space below will protect the plywood nicely.

Ken H>

That was the last of the Aluminum, its a tailgate cover I bought for my truck and just before I installed we had hurricane Dennis, I lost a car and a truck to falling trees. I had some pines in my yard that were 25"-30" in diameter, the winds snapped them off, like toothpicks. One crushed my daughters car and one of two of them got my truck. ARRRRGH, that is bad memories, just have to count your blessings as the house was only slightly damaged! So the aluminum tailgate cover has been sitting in my garage for a long time, I just made good use of it!

Thanks for the ideas, my neighbor is a contractor and I think he had a scrap of Durarock sitting out the other day. I will have to see if he wants to get rid of it, and will give it a try! I have been looking for a decent piece of Granite for my leather work, someone on Craigslist is selling the scraps they are getting from a installer. But they want crazy prices for their scraps, so still on the hunt there!

I have a ready source of it down here. Find a Kitchen guy nearby or a tombstone maker (cemeteries sometimes have piece of broken ones also) . They both have scrapes and will give it to you or charge very little. For stamping leather when I travel I use a thick tile that I got at a building supply with a piece of pondo board glued on the back side. For sheaths and holsters it works like a charm.

Back