New Student - First Knife

Roger T

I just had the privilege of building my first knife under the guidance of Bruce Bump. I'm a woodworker by trade and have done some welding, but I sure learned a lot and have come to a very deep appreciation for the design and workmanship I see displayed in the Knife Dogs Forum.

Some things I learned:
This Elmax steel is HARD STUFF! Even before the heat treatment, I thought I was going to wear the teeth off Bruce's bandsaw cutting this thing out. After he heat and cryo treated it (to HRC 62) grinding and sanding was SLOW going.

Dang, this stuff gets hot fast when grinding it to shape on the belt sander. About the time I'd get it positioned and start grinding, my scorched fingers would be screaming at me (After 2 weeks the burns have pretty well healed). My manicure now matches Bruce's.

When sanding and polishing the blade, don't slide beyond the tip and come back, or the hole it makes in the sandpaper continues on into your thumb.

Bruce is a fabulous and patient instructor; generous with his knowledge, equipment and supplies. I'm now even MORE amazed at the work he does.

Claude Scott is a true artist with leather. I had no idea leather could take such sharp detail and his workmanship is stunningly precise!

My goal was to make a field dressing/skinning knife, and I'm very pleased with the result. The blade is about 4 3/4" long and the scales are snakewood with an oil and wax finish.

DSC05618-Version2_zps3e7194cd.jpg

DSC05623_zpsf5f7460b.jpg

DSC05626_zpsf1207b97.jpg

Sheath Detail
DSC05622_zps1a1fd46b.jpg

Anyway, thanks to Ernie Grospitch for making the nifty stencil and zipping it to me so fast, thanks to Claude Scott for the beautiful sheath, and to Bruce for his mentoring; but most especially for his friendship.

Roger Treis

Last edited:
Roger,
Nice looking Banana knife you have made. My first knife didn't look that nice! I was learning how from a book though and didn't have Bruce leaning over my shoulder. lol
Now make some more!
Also you need a set of Rhino Fingers skins to keep you from burning up your fingers.

Nice looking knife Roger. now you get to test it and see how you did.

you couldn't have learned from a better teacher. Bruce is a gentleman and a scholar that gives of his time and knowledge with nothing expected but a handshake. thanks for showing us how its done Bruce.

Erik

Erik

Last edited:
Roger,
Nice looking Banana knife you have made. My first knife didn't look that nice! I was learning how from a book though and didn't have Bruce leaning over my shoulder. lol
Now make some more!
Also you need a set of Rhino Fingers skins to keep you from burning up your fingers.

Yeah, having Bruce watching kept me out of a lot of trouble. Those Rhino Fingers skins look like just what my thumbs crave for doing more of this!

Nice looking knife Roger. now you get to test it and see how you did.

you couldn't have learned from a better teacher. Bruce is a gentleman and a scholar that gives of his time and knowledge with nothing expected but a handshake. thanks for showing us how its done Bruce.

Erik

Erik

Thanks, Erik - I'm thinking of Bruce telling me to hold the blank steady against the wheel - "Don't be going spastic on me, keep it in the groove!"

I sharpened it and tested it on onions and peppers this evening. My wife tried it too - I glued the slice in her finger back together with superglue ;).

Thanks, Erik - I'm thinking of Bruce telling me to hold the blank steady against the wheel - "Don't be going spastic on me, keep it in the groove!"

I sharpened it and tested it on onions and peppers this evening. My wife tried it too - I glued the slice in her finger back together with superglue ;).
Roger, did she really cut herself? How bad?

Guys Roger is a natural, he,s been around machinery before and took to Knifemaking without much instruction at all from me. He has hung around Knifedogs for along time and must have picked up allot before he ever attempted making a knife of his own. He is a master woodworker but doesn't frequent the wood working forums, he says this place is more interesting. He was my easiest student ever.

Last edited:
Roger, did she really cut herself? How bad?

Naww nothing serious. She can still do most everything without a left index finger.:3: Not really, just a scratch.
This Elmax knife is astoundingly sharp. I've worked with and sharpened lots of cutting tools but the only things that come close to being this sharp are some of my Japanese carving tools.

Back