Hydra- WIP

lerman

Hello,

it's been a while since i last made a full WIP, i have just started making some knives for the helsinki knife show in january and this is the first project.

hope you'll enjoy it.

cutting the O1 on the band saw

rough contouring

final contouring

marking the edge

marking the grind height

this is a good opportunity to show off my new file/grinder guide, it's made out of stainless with a full carbide faces, works great.

rough grinding, 40 grit ceramic belt

and after, 300, 160, 100, 65, 45 and 30 3M trizact belts

rough grinding of the false edge

and fine tuning with a file

drilling the holes

and some weight reducing holes

flatning the snake wood scales on the disc sander

drilling the wood

rough contouring of the handle, 36 grit AO belt

and a 220 J-flex belt

some hand sanding

220 grit

320 grit

rough shaping of the handle with the stop pin machining method

some more shaping with 320 flex shaft

hand sanding- 600 grit

up too 8000 grit

and after some oil

Interesting WIP, wonderful knife as a result.

Where can I buy one of the 45 deg cutters like yours?

gorgeous... I like that a lot. Can you explain a bit about the stop pin machining method with that 45 degree cutter? Do you think it could be adapted to a drill press with some careful hand feeding?

Interesting WIP, wonderful knife as a result.

Where can I buy one of the 45 deg cutters like yours?

i bought mine at the local hardware store but you can find them on ebay as well, it's a 90 (45) degrees solid carbide burr

gorgeous... I like that a lot. Can you explain a bit about the stop pin machining method with that 45 degree cutter? Do you think it could be adapted to a drill press with some careful hand feeding?

i hope my english won't be a problem here :D i'v first seen the stop pin machining method in another knife making forum by a knife maker named tom watson, before i used to do the same chore with an upside down wood router with a ball bearing mounted cutter but this was only for wood, g10 and micarta, the stop pin works the same as the ball bering and lets you cut only to a certain point, in this case it's the outline of the handle, you can set the depth of the angled cut by adjusting the hight of the Z axis on your mill, you will need a flat surface with a small dia. steel pin (preferably hardened), the pin shoud protrude about 0.02" from the flat surface, you center the tip of the cutter to the pin and then you move only the Y axis so that the cutter will sit flush with the edge of the pin (this step is only needed when working on thiner parts).
this wethod works best on matirials with uniform structure like G10 and micarta it cuts so well that you don't have to finish it and it can be laft as is if you want this kind of look, with oily woods like ironwood and snakewood it's a bit harder to cut on some areas, and with a crbide cutter you can even work on titanium but slowly :D

droppoint, i think it can be done with a drillpress but you will need the center it by hand, shouldn't be too complicated.

Lee, very interesting. Thanks for that explanation of the stop pin method. I can see myself try this soon.

I just tried that "stop pin machining method" using a 45º bevel and milling machine on a scrap piece of Kirinite I won from The Boss. It does put a nice bevel - I think I'll use that for finishing the knife using the Krinite scales.

Thank You Lerman for the thread - every little thing helps.

Ken H>

thanks for the explanation of that stop pin method as well. I will have to give it a try and see how well it works with just a drill press.

marking the file work/jimping

after using a round file and a split mandrel on the flex shaft

after the heat treatment

some cleaning

etching the logo and name

final polishing of the handles

and final hand sanding

Back