issues with 3M cubitron yelllow belt

Lerch

I recently got some 40grit and 80grit 3M 967F yellow belts, while i have been happy with how long they last for some reason they have a horrible wobble on my Bader Grinder. On my flat platen i cannot get them to ride straight now matter how much i change the tension or anything and the wobble makes them pretty much un workable on anything where i am working around the plunge lines. i would say they wobble nearly 1/2" from side to side, at least a 1/4"

anyone else have this issue ?

guess i will go back to my norton blaze belts, they still track straight

thanks
lerch

I had a batch of 40g Blaze from AWG that were cut out of square that wobbled really bad until they'd stretched out and were about used up. I laid them down on the workbench where it was measured to be flat and the warp was very visible. Next box of them was fine. Someone must have zigged instead of zagging with the cutter then they stripped them out to width. It seems to happen more often with the heavier grits, which I assume is due to the cutter they're sizing with deflecting due to the bigger abrasives - all the Norax with the thin backing I've ever had track perfectly.

well that would make sense, two of the 40grit belts i have i am just using for profiling since they are very worn out seem to track pretty straight, a brand new one is murder to try and use

if the next batch you ordered worked okay i may try them again, i like how long they last

Lerch,
The sad thing here is that I see wobbly off cut belts more with the top end 3M and Blaze than I do with the VSM Ceramic and the Merit/Norton Best value Ceramic belts that I now buy.

A belt with wobble in it is a waste of money!

two things to try.
1. reverse the belt and run it in the opposite direction.
2. leave it on the grinder under tension and they sometimes stretch straight

Back