Double guard and framed handle, rear bolsters too

I am going to be glued to this WIP for a few days ! I am working on one at the moment to take to the OKCA show. This will be a great help ! Thanks Bruce !

Excellent thread Bruce. This has changed the standard I initially set myself as a beginner. You tutorial has given me much more confidence to go further than a basic knife.

Did you cut down the shaft? All I am finding is the ones with a 1/4 shaft and the fordom won't support that.

Did you cut down the shaft? All I am finding is the ones with a 1/4 shaft and the fordom won't support that.

This one is a 1/4" shaft mandrel, Rio Grande sells hand pieces that will accept the 1/4" shaft. This one in the picture is a 1/4 horse power foredom and has plenty of power. An electric die grinder will work also. Air powered die grinders work well if you have a good air supply.

Last edited:
Wow! :eek: That was an amazing wip I couldn't stop reading all the post and the pictures were great. Very educating and inspiring for a rookie like me.

Bruce,
Amazing work Sir! You truly are a Master at what you do! I stumbled on your WIP when looking for info on etching machines and read the entire WIP. I am relatively new to knifemaking and learned so many tricks from reading your posts. A few of your techniques actually solved problems that I have been faced with or things that I had done incorrectly. If you write the book that so many have requested I will surely buy a copy for myself and one for my son. Thank you very much for sharing your wealth of knowledge!!! I had a few questions for you and may come up with a few more as I read the WIP over and over. I am still trying to figure out the mirror technique and how I will apply it to my knife projects but I will save those questions for later. But here goes:
Why did you use JB Weld instead of silver solder? Was it just a visibility thing or was there a concern about heating the blade again? Approximately how much time did you spend on the Hideout/Doctor's Bowie? Approximately how much does a knife similar to this cost not including the engraving and the sheath? How much did the engraving and sheath add to the overall cost? I struggle with how much to charge for my own knives since I still consider myself to be a novice after making about 20 knives and I always give most of my labor away. I don't mind too much as knifemaking is a labor of love for me but if I ever were to try to make a go at knifemaking as my sole means of support I would have to rethink this or I would be living in a cardboard box (with my drill press and grinder and a long extension cord of course). Thanks Again. I will be reading any of your previous WIP's and looking forward to your next WIP!

Hi Tom,
Thanks so much for all the kind words on my WIP's
You ask some very valid questions and I'm sure a phone call would help answer them all. I too give away too much labor and used to not care either but now it shows up at bill paying time. My advice is to keep this at a hobby but use any and all profits from sales to put back into your hobby. This will let you buy tools and materials rather than spend every penny on bills. You've heard, "don't quit your day job"?
Give me a call sometime
Bruce,
Amazing work Sir! You truly are a Master at what you do! I stumbled on your WIP when looking for info on etching machines and read the entire WIP. I am relatively new to knifemaking and learned so many tricks from reading your posts. A few of your techniques actually solved problems that I have been faced with or things that I had done incorrectly. If you write the book that so many have requested I will surely buy a copy for myself and one for my son. Thank you very much for sharing your wealth of knowledge!!! I had a few questions for you and may come up with a few more as I read the WIP over and over. I am still trying to figure out the mirror technique and how I will apply it to my knife projects but I will save those questions for later. But here goes:
Why did you use JB Weld instead of silver solder? Was it just a visibility thing or was there a concern about heating the blade again? Approximately how much time did you spend on the Hideout/Doctor's Bowie? Approximately how much does a knife similar to this cost not including the engraving and the sheath? How much did the engraving and sheath add to the overall cost? I struggle with how much to charge for my own knives since I still consider myself to be a novice after making about 20 knives and I always give most of my labor away. I don't mind too much as knifemaking is a labor of love for me but if I ever were to try to make a go at knifemaking as my sole means of support I would have to rethink this or I would be living in a cardboard box (with my drill press and grinder and a long extension cord of course). Thanks Again. I will be reading any of your previous WIP's and looking forward to your next WIP!

Back