Cru Forge V?

Erik Markman

I was given a piece of CruForgeV at our knifeshow in Belgium by Joe Mandt last week.(thanks, Joe!)

I can not find very much info on it, what makes it special? If it is special..:)

Erik

HERE is the data sheet.

This steel is specifically designed for knife makers as a forging steel. It is designed to forge well and produce a very nice and fine grain structure. Heat treating temps are around 1500F and the steel would benefit from a short soak of say 10 minutes at temperature. Quench in oil (should harden pretty well in most oils).

I have made one blade stock removal from CruforgeV. It took a very nice edge and held on to it well. I'm looking forward to hitting it with the hammer if my forge ever arrives.

--nathan

Last edited:
Has anyone heard about what is happening with Crucable Steel? I understand it was sold while in recievership. Is this going to effect the availability of CruforgeV?

Doug Lester

There's a lot of CruforgeV out there right now as they had a pretty big batch run before their auction. Right now, Niagara Specialty Metals has made an arrangement to buy steel directly from Crucible, roll it into sheet, and sell in directly. They have always rolled Crucilbes steel in the northeast, and they are now licensed to deal the CPM steels including S30-V, 154-CM, CPM 154-CM, 3-V, 15-V, S90-V as well as a new grade called CPM S35VN (CPM S20-VN). They're looking into purchasing some CruforgeV, but I don't know what will ultimately happen.

HERE's a link to a thread on another forum that discusses the changes, and there's a link to a picture tour that Matthew Gregory was kind enough to provide.

--nathan

I received an e-mail reply from Bob at NSM about the CruForge V at the beginning of this month. Here's the main part of that message:

"There is a lot of Cru Forge V in the Arlington district. You can contact them at 800-365-1168 for details. We may not be getting involved in this grade. I spoke to Scott Devanna and he feels that it will always be available from Crucible via a distributor or bar mill."

If Scott believes that it will be available, then that's good enough for me 2thumbs

Mike

My understanding is that it is more on the order of W2 or 52100. It's higher in carbon and has other metal added that will form native carbides, amongst other things. It will also have deeper hardening than the more simple steels. As far as moving under the hammer, I really couldn't say not having used it but it shouldn't be worse than 52100 which I don't find terribly bad but maybe a little harder to move than the lower carbon steels.

Doug Lester

Back