no belt grinder how to convex?

You can file the top third of the knife at 10-20 degrees depending on how tall of a blade, and then the bottom third of the knife at a corresponding degree then round the middle with a file to match.

For finishing, I used corrugated cardboard with sandpaper and rolled the knife. It a lot of hand work but you can achieve a smooth symmetrical grind and finish with patience and a large can of elbow grease.

I hope this helps, I am sure there are other ways to do this without a grinder?

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

I filed the edge like I would to get a flat grind by draw filing. I used a sanding block to finish the flats to 120 then a soft sanding block to sand the rest of the blade, I started from the flat and progressed to the beveled area and it made it curved. I got quite a nice Appleseed grind.

I filed the edge like I would to get a flat grind by draw filing. I used a sanding block to finish the flats to 120 then a soft sanding block to sand the rest of the blade, I started from the flat and progressed to the beveled area and it made it curved. I got quite a nice Appleseed grind.

Liam's method sound easier than what I did years ago. The cross section of a apple seed is what we are after here.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

You don't even have to try, it happened by accident when I did it but I wasn't complaining. You can use the handle of the file to keep the angle roughly the same. Part of the reason it goes convex is the irregularity in filing though. I guess if you used precision equipment it would be slightly flat in areas but you can barely notice, it feels like a smooth curve.

I use an automotive sanding disc, I have used this on axes and on knives. I convexed an RTAK for a friend with nothing more than a drill and the automotive sanding disc attachment.

[video=youtube;fgsy2SusaO4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgsy2SusaO4[/video]

Back