Very new 24 and 36 grit 2 X 72 belts from Norton.

Frank Niro

KNIFE MAKER
Well I was given a 36 to test. I was very impressed. I had a 36 to try. It seem to do a more even job of removing metal than the ceramics do and so far I am also very pleased with how it's lasting. I don't have a name for this belt but Rob Ridley of Canadian Knife Maker Supply expects to have them in stock soon. What it has impressed me the most is the fact it is a long lasting belt without the problems that can be created when using ceramic belts where the granules need constant pressure to break them down or the belt has a short life. Frank

Love trying out new belts! These look great and I could see them being top belts for surface grinder belt conversions as well as knife grinding. Thanks for the update and info

Excellent! Looks to be a very efficient belt cost wise, I'll have to try to get some stateside to compare against the 36 Blaze.

I'd be curious as well, I'm going to talk to my AWG guy about them next custom order I put in. In the mean time - I know it's a simple question asking how much they'll cost, and in my opinion abrasives are one of our most important fixed costs. I was shocked at the 14.00 price of my new stiffer Norax belts, but they outlast the ones I was using previously by a factor of 6 to 20. I have done several dozen knives, large and small, with the same 100x and 45x, with only the 16x showing wear, and that even is more of a loaded glazed surface issue than the abrasive being worn off. I'll dress it with a diamond point and likely it will be good for many more knives. I see the high priced belts as an investment.

I'd love to answer your cost question, but I don't have the answer yet. These belts were apparently set up for a specific application somewhere in Texas, and my rep thought of me when he heard the presentation at a seminar. Reports have been impressive from more than just Frank. I don't want to jinx it, cause my rep is a great guy, but he thinks they may come in even a little cheaper than 36G BLAZE PLUS. That isn't a quote guys. Just an educated hope. I'll let you know when I do. When you ask your reps, you may initially get a blank stare. :confused2: They aren't well known yet.

Im running a test batch of these at the moment. So far I am VERY pleased.

More to come after I get through the testing phase on them.

Yes,
I received some to test from Scott at www.trugrit.com I have run the 36 grit and so far I have ground out two of my big chops and 6-7 of my smaller 4 1/2" utility/Paring knife and there is still a fair amount of grit left. I grind after HT and it started to built up some heat on the smaller utility knives so I will relegate this belt to non HTed steel and profiling etc..

They do seem even better than the blaze which I had stopped using because of the problem of the backing material collecting on the flat platen. I have not seen this problem with the 999 black belts so far.

These look like a great belt for guys like Randy who have a belt surface grinder and clean up Damascus etc.

More later.

Laurence

Yes they are in the store now. We're on vacation, so can't ship till Aug 1st. Sundre to GP only a couple days.

You're up in GP now? Too bad I should have had you bring my order up in person. :lol:

Enjoy your time off.

Once you're back I need to call in and see about some steel and grinding belts.

Yes, I want in on this. The newer series stiff Norax are saving me a boatload and I'm eager to try out any Blaze alternative - which sounds odd as the Blaze is a flat out fantastic belt for the dollar. I'd go so far to say that I'd pay a premium to have one sent to test against the existing Blaze, and I'd be willing to post detailed results - putting in a little time and money to get a better belt to market or even a group/volume minimum buy would be a fair shake to save abrasive costs in the long run. I still have a very large quantity of the blue backing, stiff Norax that I had AWG make up, even with full time production I have only moved into my 2nd and 3rd belts of a given grit. They are almost ridiculously long lasting and if anyone is interested I'd be fine with throwing some out for wider review.

Back