May Be WIP... ...Ned Help...

TacticallySharp

KNIFE MAKER
May Be WIP... ...Need Help...

Got a few of these...

Not the small 1" ones and not the baseball either, the kinda big ball bearings.

My problem is I don't have a press or power hammer so...

What can I make a WIP of using one of these?

Wade, I'm sending you & Ron each one with Bola. Ask him for it. They are from a Toyo Japanese bearing race that the part number says it is 52100 carbon steel. Assembled race weighed about 50lbs and Pelallito (Fred) brought it over for us to cut up and share. He made the first cut 2 weeks ago and I spent all morning today cutting the race apart and then had to cut each ball out of the brass (?) guide. The race pieces are huge...

"these are real steel balls" they must weight over a pound each.

BallBearings-lres-02.jpg

Well It got to late and Bola and I did not get to meet, I'll drop them off at his place tomorrow...

Last edited:
Shokr,

I had 9 of them. One became a monkeys fist. I have one still. The others I gave to my knifemaking friends. Still waiting to hear what they did with them.

George

Hey George bring them to the fall hammer in at Haywood. I'm sure David will hook you up with a welder to weld a handle on then you can use a forge to get it hot and use the big blue to flatten it. Without a power hammer or press the only way to flatten it is by hand and that is a task I wouldn't want to undertake.

Barry,

Looks like I'm going. I'll pack it in my travel bucket when I get home and we will do it. I'm building a mini forging press to handle these type of things in the future. My friend Fred is welding the frame for it. More on that later.

Regards,

George

Back