Knife #2 see what you think

cantax

OK, This is #2 made out of scrap metal from Lowe's.
I wanted to practice grinding something like this before moving on to better stuff.
The knife is 12" with 6" blade 1/8 thick. The handle is rosewood oiled and waxed.
I just been trying what I read in this forum, so you guys are my mentors.
next time I will use better steel and hopefully produce a better product.

Thanks for sharing all your wonderful work.

Alex- just a pup:bud::bud::bud:

Attachments

• Knife#2-1.jpg
    Knife#2-1.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 49
  • Knife#2-2.jpg
    Knife#2-2.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 57
  • Knife#2-3.jpg
    Knife#2-3.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Knife#2-4.jpg
    Knife#2-4.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 40
no more scrap metal. time to step up and make a keeper. you're ready.

I agree with Boss. You are wasting too much money on quality material and investing too much time in a product that can't be used. Step it up to quality steel. You are ready for it.

I have to agree with the other guys on this! 1095 is cheap and makes a great blade, no hurt feelings boogerin' up summah dat. But it looks like you've got the nack for it!!! Great knife!!!!!!

I'm with these guys. Get some 1080 or 1084 and quit messing around.

By the way, I'm an Okie too. My daughter lives in Moore. Let me know if I can help.

Greg

I only see one thing WRONG, If you would have used good steel you would have a good knife now.
When I first started I used 440C and when I accidentaly made a good knife than I had a good knife.

Nice job, now go make a good knife. And show it.
Art

Thanks for the coments guys. You have just convinced me. I am ordering some 440c from Texas Knife right now. Time to get started. I've got the bug now.

Thanks Greg, I live in Moore also.

Alex

I agree with everyone, but 440c will need to be sent out for heat treating, unless you happen to have a heat treat oven at home. 1080 or 1084 0r 5160 are quite a bit more forgiving, and can be done at home with an easily built propane forge. Depending on the blade size, you might even be able to do it with a torch.

I agree with everyone, but 440c will need to be sent out for heat treating, unless you happen to have a heat treat oven at home. 1080 or 1084 0r 5160 are quite a bit more forgiving, and can be done at home with an easily built propane forge. Depending on the blade size, you might even be able to do it with a torch.

I should have said that in my post. I still send out to Heat Treat if I have a lot to HT, I just had 20 blades that I sent Paul Bos. Here at home I can only handle 4 or 5 440C or ATS blades at a time to get a accurate Rc.. And it runs my electric bill up $12-15 every time I turn on the oven. The Carbon steel would probably be better if you are going to do your own HT as a begainer.

Back