Badges? we need badges? looking for feedback

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
A few of the other forums have badge ID cards. This is so they can recognize other members at a knife show. Each would have the owners forum name on the badge card. The crack design team here (frstr8 aka Brian) has come up with some different versions. Our official colors are dark brown and burnt orange so he went with that.
Have a look, suggest, vote. We haven't a clue how to get these produced yet so if anyone knows about that, speak up...

Maybe none of these are the final version but it is a place to open some discussion:

kdbadge1.jpg

kdbadge2.jpg

kdbadge3.jpg

kdbadge4.jpg

When you say badge do you mean something that will fit in a plastic sleeve and get pinned to a shirt or jacket? If so, I believe a horizontal orientation would probably work better than a vertical one. At least that's what I'm used to seeing.

Or, do you mean it will be an actual metal badge like a button with a pin?

Or, maybe something more like a iron/sew on patch?

On a tangent:

Have you guys given thought to shrinking the amount of space the website header/banner takes up on the screen? Maybe the dog could be moved (and lowered) to the left of the title (flip the dog to face right) and all of it could be shrunken just a bit to free up more screen space for viewing the forums? Just a thought.

BossDog,

Found this with a quick google http://www.idsuperstore.com/custom-card-printing-c-1269.html

Not sure how it works. you may have to take pre-orders to get each persons name on their card (maybey they'll let you pay for bulk and print as you go ???) A quick call could probably answer questions though. Didn't see a FAQ link.

Quick quote even for small orders seemed pretty reasonable to me. Check it out.

Out of those 4, #1 gets my vote

-Josh

Excellent idea! Makes it easy to notice other members from distance and the badges would be an automatic "ice breaker", making it easier to get to know members you haven't met. Example # 1 has my vote, if we are choosing from the examples that are posted. I wouldn't think these badges would be too expensive. Just have any members who want one made, place an order with the info they want printed on it and "ante up" the cost. Then you send them out when you get them. I sell my Sheaths at a combo Antique Mall/Flea Market, an the dealers wear a "badge" similar to what you are showing that fit in a transparent "sleave" attached to a clip, so you can attach it to a pocket or on your collar, etc. The badges we use are approximately 4" long (not including the clip) and they have the Logo Info on one side, and whatever personal info you wish on the other. Keep us posted.

Last edited:
Dear Boss Dog

Much as I appreciate your drawing abilities I find those particular logo's too Sylvester & Tweety Bird. I actually much prefer the one on your avatar because it's: sublte - ie not so "in your face"; slightly cryptic and also suitable for production in silver, pewter or enamelware.

My 2 cents on this is to keep it simple. Make it easy to read and easy to recognize. We could go all out and do layers and colors with little dog prints everywhere, it's endless. I tried to keep it simple.

As for vertical or horizontal, I live near a Navy base where everyone wears a badge every day, including my wife and almost everyone else I know. These are warn on lanyards around the neck usually and they hang vertical. It will work either way though, it just tends to hang better when worn vertical.

Having said all that what we want here is feedback. We will take all that and make a decision on a final design or 2 and go from there, so please let us know what you think!

As for the banner at the top of the page I'm not sure why it matters how big it is. The page scrolls down.

Don't know about yall but a Dark Brown and burnt orange lanyards would fit the bill nicely! Maybe Jeff Pearse will chime in here.

-Josh

Yes, I think this is a great idea. I would rather have a simpler one with just the KnifeDogs.com, logo and name and prefer the vertical one. Thanks in advance for all who will get this done.

What I've seen at the sort of cons I attend most are ribbons with a sticky top that are attached to the actual convention badge.

Personally, I'd prefer a design without a cartoon dog on it...

Dear Boss Dog

Much as I appreciate your drawing abilities I find those particular logo's too Sylvester & Tweety Bird. I actually much prefer the one on your avatar because it's: sublte - ie not so "in your face"

Agree 100%... the big muscle-dawg as drawn seems cartoony to me. How 'bout something classy like a vintage bomber girl w/ a mean-looking dog. :p

Erin

I like the first one posted the best!! I like that idea of having a badge. GREAT job Brian.

To throw in my $.02......... I like the idea of having a K.D. Badge. I think it would be great for Blade or any other knife show that members might attend. However, I have to agree with the few who have chimed in about the "Doginator" image. I much prefer our original K.D. logo. I think the original logo is much classier.

Thank you all very much for the feedback! The way things are lookin' maybe I watch too many cartoons? :D

Okay, let's try another angle. I did these up real fast based on the feedback so far. Please keep comments going, as my wife often says I have no feelings to hurt. :eek:

Here we go with the another style.

Set 2

KDBadge2b-Copycopy.jpg

NewBadge01copy.jpg

KDBadge2-Copycopy.jpg

Bring on the suggestions! 2guns

Last edited:
I think I would really like #2 with the same header "KNIFEDOGS.COM" as used on #1 and #3.

so we are on the same page, we are thinking a full color hard plastic type lanyard ID badge. These can often be oriented in both vertical and horizontal. Like anything, it's a just a matter of money. There is value in doing a front and back version, one horizontal and one vertical in case some one wants to orient the badge differently. If you wear it as lanyard, you go vertical. If you slip it inside of a plastic pass set up like they use at Blade, you would want the horizontal.

Here is one example to give you an idea. I think the USN guys have a connection to order them personalized for around 7 or 8 bucks each but I could be wrong.

Attachments

• full_color_full_bleed_custom_printed_visitor_badge.jpg
    full_color_full_bleed_custom_printed_visitor_badge.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 11
In one of my former careers, I could have made these for us for about $.50 each. It's a shame I don't have access to that $3K printer anymore.

Back